Composite deck boards

I am needing to re-do my deck and am leaning towards composite material, mainly for less maintenance. Do any of you have any suggestions about the quality of the products out there?
Thanks

1 Like

Unless you get PVC, the composites last 10-20~ years and then they start to go.

I’ve been considering doing the same thing in a few years, David. I’ve never used the stuff.

Good info here, if the don’t come out with something better by then.

1 Like

They briefly mentioned it in the article. But the joist spacing needs to be closer or it will sag. I think it has to be 12” O.C. More joist equal more cost which isn’t mentioned.

JMO I’ve looked at it before and I can never justify the initial cost. Plus the sun here in Denver is a lot harsher than other places so the fading is worse.

In Minnesota, my dad and I built his deck in 1990 out of cedar and treated lumber. It is still holding strong after all these years and he does very little maintenance on it.

1 Like

seems like most of the ones I run across have a fair amount of bounce to them…

i hear a good single malt has the same effect

1 Like

Tony, the product I have looked into (Fiberon Concordia Symmetry) calls for 12" O.C. for diagonal deck boards and 16" O.C for horizontal deck boards. Luckily, I am going horizontal!

I’ve done two porches with composite. One with Trex, the other with the off-the-shelf from Lowes. No sag with either at 16" on the horizontal runs. The only issue I ran into in regard to bounce was the stringers - which I had placed at just under 20" (5’ wide, 3 inner and 2 outer for 5 stringers in total) - but it was honestly pretty minimal. Took a fridge on a dolly up it at one point.

From their installation instructions.

Promenade and Paramount decking are approved for use over joists spaced a maximum of 16-in. on center. However, for a more ridged feel, Fiberon promotes spacing the joists at 12-in. on center

https://p.widencdn.net/kylsv9/fiberon-decking-installation-fib-0354-lit

1 Like

Get aluminium if you can afford it.

I have installed miles of the Azek brand and have had no callbacks. It works fine with 16’’ on center joists. I use the screw and plug system. It works great and looks nice. I am not a fan of Trex. It doe’s not weather well. They tend to start cupping after a few years.

TT-AZEK-Decking-Overview-square

5 Likes

As with Scott, I have used the same product in the past and never had a problem.

2 Likes

Well, that is pricey!

Scott and Marcel, I will look into Azek. Hopefully it holds up well in a more southern climate.

Thanks all for the feedback.

3 Likes

I would ask them at the lumberyard for their opinion on durability in your area. They are usually the first ones to get complaints about a product.

3 Likes

After my reading and video watching, Azek is what I would choose to use today.

Thanks for the references Scott and Marcel…I appreciate it! :cowboy_hat_face:

3 Likes

Dave,I have used the same product you we’re looking at last spring.Used phantom hidden fasteners for the decking on 16” centers.
No problems to date.

1 Like

My dad replaced his decking back when Trex first started getting popular well over 12 years ago. Placed on 16" centers and it’s all going to have to be replaced. Ends popping, waves throughout. Guess the contractor didn’t read installing being on 12" centers.

Probably going to rip it up and go back to wood.

2 Likes

I think that would be closer to 15" on center, so you should be OK.

2 Likes

I replaced my deck planks with the generic brand of composite decking from Home Depot this past summer and I replaced the guardrail tops with pressure treated 2x6. I kept the structure which has joists at 16" OC. So Far, I have had no problems with summer heat or winter frost. They have stayed straight and flat.
As for longevity, I’ll never know.

6 Likes

Typo on my part prompting that, sorry. Six feet wide, not five.

1 Like