Composite deck boards

Bert, I’ve got that same saw. Works nice but sure is heavy! :grinning:

1 Like

Nice and expensive Bert, huh!
One thing to remember in installing expensive decking is that it will out-live the framing it is supporting it.
So I learned in the past that installing a strip of tar paper or adhered strip flashing will protect the framing from water intrusion in the edge of the framing that will eventually come punky and the fasteners will let go.
My deck is P.T. that I built 30 years ago and I did not do that. I replaced a few deck boards last summer and the 10d galvanized nails would pull right out. It is still in fair condition, but starting to show some age and eventually, the framing will need replacement when the time comes to replace the decking.

My deck is 30 years old and all PT.

Last year I replaced a few handrails and a few boards. Got to keep it maintained for longevity.

8 Likes

That’s a great Pro tip, Marcel. And a good looking deck!

3 Likes

Looks good Marcel and Bert!!!..If you ever in my neck of the woods…

2 Likes

Here is a nugget of gold to pick up! Thanks, Marcel.

1 Like

My 2 cents.

Thanks, Kevin.

David, My wife works for Trex. She can give you a lot of information if you like.
Let me know and I will give you her contact info.

Sure thing David.

I sanded and stained my deck last year, it was my summer COVID project. It turned out good but never again, I’m getting to old for projects this big.

3 Likes

Wow, Kevin. That was a project!

I will get with you as I get closer. Still finishing some other projects.

Proper install is the key. I have seen good and bad. The bad has always had to due with the install. These folks just added some composite over old wood junk. But, I can see where the sun is taking its toll. They claimed the composite was 10 years. I have seen wood do better.

1 Like

Good lord what the hell is that!

4 Likes

That is junk Trex and a poor amateur install.

7 Likes

I agree with, Scott! Crap material and crap install. :flushed:

5 Likes

That install is FUBAR

3 Likes

You guys are so harsh…I was just trying to use up all of my old screws i had laying around…

3 Likes

You also found a way to repurpose all those decking boards for the railing :smiley:

4 Likes

waste not want not…

1 Like

This was the last one I did 12 years ago. It should have looked close to this.

5 Likes