Concerns About Marijuana Smoke Residue

Hello fine folks of the forum!

I had a discussion with a friend who is an agent the other day. He has clients that are for their own reasons concerned about purchasing a home that was previously occupied by Marijuana smokers. He asked my opinion on the subject, my assessment was to treat the property as if it was occupied by a tobacco smoker. Have the ducts and carpets professionally cleaned. Wash the walls and ceilings with TSP and repaint any porous surfaces IE popcorn ceilings. I feel that this is a fair assessment but I thought that I would throw it out to you guys to see if someone may have a more educate opinion.

Cheers,
Michael Ice

2 Likes

Yes!
Under the assumption that someone smoked a joint in that house. You recommend them to clean everything up. I would imagine and I’d probably be correct. There’s been pot smoked in the White House. Yep!
Scrape some off the wall and put it in your bong.
No lab test needed… :laughing:

1 Like

just how much did they smoke in there that You are recommending all of that???

They took all the fumes out of paint these days so the painters need to get a buzz somehow, Jim. LOL

5 Likes

That is funny…I don’t care who you are. LOL

Not the painters I know! Nope! :grinning:

Marijuana smoke can be more damaging to a home than cigarette smoke. Neither is good for the indoor air environment. Your remediation recommendations sound reasonable but as an inspector I would not offer those suggested fixes to the buyer. I would refer them to a fire, smoke, storm damage remediation contractor if they are concerned about the smell of the house.

4 Likes

Well - all of that certainly couldn’t hurt, but I’ve found that an Ozone machine really cleans out that pot smoke odor. Uhh…I mean…I’ve heard - from others - that it works well. :flushed:

2 Likes

I call bull on that. In Alaska, the majority of people here smoke weed and I have been around it for years. I have been in houses where I had no idea they were smokers and never knew they smoked in the house. Marijuana is absolutely in no way shape or form “worse” than cigarette smoke.
I have never entered a house and seen white paint turn yellow because of “marijuana smoke.”
I would like to see some scientific data to back this claim up, even for IAQ.
Also, I smoke neither cigarettes or weed.
Edit: I smoke nothing. No vape, cigs, weed. Cigars very rarely at camp fires or something.

5 Likes

All the painters I knew were alcoholic! They had stag bars in those days. Kids today don’t even know what those are!

4 Likes

I ate lunch sometimes in the last one of those in town when I was a shoe shine boy. It was called Lautner’s, Bob. A little eerie for me, at 10-12 years old, but they had great food for cheap and I got to look around a little. LOL

So were the ones I knew as well, Bob

1 Like