Concrete Roof?

Is there any way to verify this being a concrete roof with the given photos? I know these can sometimes be frame. Any tips on verifying the roofs on this style of building would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

NO!
In pic #1 it looks like roll asphalt/fiberglass roofing

Looking at the HVAC supports, the pipe columns are the type that might be welded to steel bar joists. That would mean metal decking and concrete.
Check from the attic. Sometimes you can tell just by standing on the roof and raising your heels and then letting your weight hit the deck.

I’ve seen this type of town-home many times.
Looks like a square box, 4 separate units.
Usually reinforced concrete roof with no attic but you cannot “see” anything.

Marc is correct, I call it like it is. I have seen a framed one once I could tell by hitting the ceiling with my hand. All concrete ones I has hit with my had are WAY different. I put the Trusty MT6 up to it with a Plus and take a picture. Sometimes it works. I feel sorry for every client I roll up on and see these quad plexes. My opinion are they are solid as heck but my opinion does not matter. Once I was there when they were re roofing and the contractor let me see it.

Call or visit the building department. The answer will be there

Is that in davie?

I have inspected dozens of this quad — Vero Beach, St Lucie & Martin county ---- I am renovating one in vero beach right now…They have all been Structural Concrete Roof Deck ---- The second floor and balconies are also concrete… You can verify by opening the a/c return air at top of stairway to see visible concrete chase/flu as the a/c units are package units with return air thru concrete roof deck…

Here is a pic of concrete roof deck thru return air – and pics of the vero beach quad

IMG_6663.JPG

IMG_6699.JPG

IMG_6603.JPG

Interesting. Pretty rare for a two story. I would have doubted it too without verification.

Thank you everyone for the responses. It seems that this is a gray area for most. What really matters is convincing the underwriters and really getting the best evidence to prove your findings. What seems to be most useful, and I’m sure it differs per building/construction, is checking through the AC return. Thank you for that Dennis. I think that if there is no access, the building department is the next best bet for solid evidence. Then if nothing else, MT6 scanner photos would be the better than nothing, and thanks to those with that suggestion.

So for future use, if no access to the roof deck showing concrete through a vent/return=>take a photo of the scanner showing rebar (just in case)=> check with building department. If all else fails, at least you have the photo of the scanner. Unless it is proven to be frame.

The ones in S. Florida usually are split systems with the air handler
in a small closet top of the stairs with the condenser unit outside ground level.

Great tip thanks.

They are almost always bricksh-thouses. TOUGH.

Another tip is to measure distance from roof deck to top of sliding glass doors. Then subtract the distance from top of sliding glass door to finish ceiling… Whats left is the either the structural slab or truss depth… You will rarely have less 12" for trusses/joist

A corrugated steel pan with concrete would be supported by steel bar joists. These would be more than 12" in depth too. A precast or post tension concrete deck may have a dropped ceiling, so measuring may not be conclusive. The roof covering may be over substantial foam insulation, so stomping on it may not be a way to tell either. I have only been able to verify this by some kind of access or hatch, or having the drawings to look at. Of course, this would only be a problem on smaller buildings.

I Agree — Im just trying to give alternatives to deduce what is there. In this case you can stick an ice pic through the carpet on second floor and determine that it is concrete. The balcony slab is also not recessed from the second floor slab which means it is an integral pour/slab… Not may condos that I know of have concrete floors without having a concrete roof deck. I just use as many of these available things to determine what is there… All im saying is that if you can determine that there is only 4"-6" of available space for the roof deck, its going to be structural concrete

True, a 6" roof deck can’t be anything else. Big buildings are easy to figure out, but that little two story, I would not have thought would be concrete. I guess they build a little differently on your coast.