Condenser Location

That would be 99% of homes without gutters. So do you push them out further into the yard or too close to the house? Until I see otherwise, I think this inspector is going to look foolish recommending either one of these movements. I would like to know what our northern climate folks do.

(I would venture as far as recommending gutters :wink: )

1 Like

I don’t recommend solutions, just what could lead to potential problems. I would only recommend consideration of further evaluation by a HVAC contractor.

And of course, we don’t see the hard freezing issues with heat pumps here in the South. And yes, I would recommend gutters too. The OP suggested that it was under a “drip edge.”

1 Like

For heat pumps, a cover can be used as shown below (purchased or homemade). For ACs’, most in MN just throw a piece of plywood over the top in winter.

3 Likes

And there you have it. Problem solved!! Thanks Ryan… :+1:

Btw, the homemade and plywood may be more expensive with the cost of lumber. :wink:

3 Likes

It’s also not uncommon to see these on MN roofs over heat pumps. Especially on metal roofs, but also on shingles.

1 Like

The top of that snow block is about what I may see at one given time here. Then it’s gone in 2 days… :shushing_face: :wink:

1 Like

I was not aware of any code for this but I was taught in HVAC school 50 years ago to not place a condenser beneath the drip line because it can allow discharge air to recirculate back across the condenser which can increase the head pressure. Thus I used best practice term.

1 Like

I have re-reviewed the videos. On part 13 video at about the 14:08 minute mark, 2 instructors made the comment that the condenser should not be under the drip edge. I’ve emailed Ray Kline at interNACHI hqs for clarification. I’ll let everyone know what he says. Thanks

Steve Darden
Peacock Inspections
254-234-5772
713-854-7053

Please forgive tpyo’s!

1 Like

Would you care to explain that a little more clearer? And define “drip line”?

Roof drip line. I statement was made in advanced HVAC course that you shouldn’t locate condenser below roof drip line. I asked for code reference. InterNACHI inspectors have stated above that it’s not code, not best practice and there shouldn’t be a problem with it below the drip line, it’s an outdoor unit. Some have stated it was because of head pressure from the eave overhang. I’ll I’m asking for is clarification and reference.

Steve Darden
Peacock Inspections
254-234-5772
713-854-7053

Please forgive tpyo’s!

Historically, condensing units are installed in this exact spot more frequently than any other location.

In my area, and throughout the State, even in new construction, that’s where you’ll see them.

2 Likes

Last year I built an addition for a client. The home had a hip roof. The HVAC company I use installed a new unit and after it was installed the homeowner pointed out that it says in the owners manual not to install under the drip line. The HVAC guy asked him just where on a HIP roof he would like it installed. After 6 months of back and forth I had to build a platform five feet from the house and they moved it there. It was a ridiculous waste of time but you couldn’t convince them because the Owners Manual did recommend it.

There is a difference in installation manuals between a recommendation and a requirement.

1 Like

Same reason an above ground oil tank should not be under an eave but rather on the gable side. Often, however, there is no choice.

So, who was the AC manufacturer?

I can’t remember. I wasn’t all that involved in the HVAC until the client got bent out of shape. I will try to find some pictures and see what brand it was.

1 Like

Got an answer from Ben himself!

image0.png

Steve Darden
Peacock Inspections
254-234-5772
713-854-7053

Please forgive tpyo’s!

1 Like

There’s a lot of Ifs & Ands in that answer.

Such as this one…duh
“And it’s causing damage to the unit”

In 15 plus years of inspecting I have never called this out and I do not plan on starting to; Unless I observe an obvious problem that was caused by the AC being underneath the drip line. And that would be a first for me.

2 Likes

Between zero lot lines and stubby super short eaves, where the hell do you want them to put it?

1 Like