Condensing Oil Furnaces

Originally Posted By: phinsperger
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

1. How exactly are new models different from the old? Is the stainless steel heat exchanger simply thicker gauge to last longer? Or is is there some additional coating? Or something Else?

2) Has anyone had any experience with the newer units?

So many HVAC guys have got in thier heads that condensing oil furnaces are bad. But I get the feeling most are simply going on what they new from the past and don't have much knowledge about the 'new generation' of units.

Only time will tell for sure if these units are any better. I'm just hoping to get some more technical information on what makes these units different than the old ones.

--

Paul Hinsperger
Hinsperger Inspection Services
Chairman - NACHI Awards Committee
Place your Award Nominations
here !

No one knows how they solved the corrosion problem?

Paul Hinsperger
here !

Originally Posted By: Kyle Kubs

Paul,

From what I've heard about these units they are much more common in other countries where the oil has a much lower sulpher content and are still only practicle in this country where you can buy desulphered oil. - Sulphuric Acid will eat through anything eventually....

--
Those that say it cannot be done should stop interupting those of us who are hard at work, doing it...

Originally Posted By: Gary Reecher

The Adams Manufacturing Company is the one making the condensing oil furnace in the US http://www.adamsmanufacturing.com/ Manual available at Adams.

This furnace can not be installed into a closet or with the back up against the wall. Why? Because access to the heat exchanger clean out is located on the back side of the furnace. So access must be gained. So if you see a new Adams condensing oil furnace installed in a closet or with the back up against the wall write it up. The installer didn't read the installation instructions.

And yes I know what the Adams brochure says about closet or alcove, but I think the marketing side didn't talk with the technical side on this issue.

--
Gary Reecher, CM
HVAC Service Technician

MechAcc's Carbon Monoxide Site Links

Thanks guys. I have contacted Adams and are currently waiting for a resonse from them. I’ll post their reply (if any).

Paul Hinsperger
here !

Originally Posted By: rcooke

Talked to a buddy of mine in the oil industry .

He did not know what they had done but said they seem OK now .

Roy Cooke Sr.

http://Royshomeinspection.com

I finally talked to someone from Adams regarding condensing oil furnaces. It seems that there are an number of changes. Here is some of what I understand.

1) The condensate goes through a neutalizer which is a replaceable unit much like the oil filer. This brings the Ph to fairly neutral even less costic than condensate from a natural gas furnace.

2) The aformentioned neutral condensate is used to wash over the heat exchanger to keep it really clean from soot buildup. This elimates the extra maintance that was associated with the previous generation of condensating oil furnaces.

3) When installed it must be properly leveled (for the consensate wash to work) and adjusted for proper burning. Equipment capable of measuring up to 99% eff is required to adjust properly

4) A .4 nozzel is used and thus a 10 micron filter is used to ensure it does not get clogged.

5) 3" (not 2") exhaust pipe must be used so that exhaust gases do not remain in the unit for too long.