Condo electric setup

Originally Posted By: rray
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/c/condo-ese.jpg ]

There was a panel in the condo with six breakers. Outside next to the electric meters was the panel in the picture. It appears that there is only one main service disconnect, labeled 100 amps, and that each individual condo then has a 30-amp circuit breaker in that panel labeled for it.

Never seen a set-up quite like this one, so I look to the electrical gurus to give me guidance, other than the standard "recommend further evaluation by licensed electrician."

Don't even ask me about that "TV" breaker at the very bottom. ?????

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.

Originally Posted By: rmoore

No electrical “guru” but…

10 condos fed from a 100-amp service! Seems totally inadequate to say the least.

--
Richard Moore
Rest Assured Inspection Services
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com

Originally Posted By: bking

I can’t believe that could be for how many units?

All those units sharing a 100amp main ?
Where do they get their hvac power?
All have gas stoves and gas water?

Newer units have 90-100 amp service per home and that is with gas appliances.

--
www.BAKingHomeInspections.com

Originally Posted By: jpope

Standard Zinsco disclaimer Russ.

If you pulled the cover, it may have been that there is no main. These type of Zinsco boxes have several way to connect the service wires - back fed, directly to the bus bars and even split busses with parallel service.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

I would guess the TV is for the outlet the house TV distribution amp plugs into, among other things.

If there is no large fixed in place equipment in these condos (all gas appliances, no laundry) the 30a may not really be that out of line. That is 7200va. Figure 3000va for the kitchen and the rest at 3va per sq/ft it could support a 1400 sq/foot unit and still be reasonable. You wouldn’t do that in new construction but if this is old it wouldn’t surprise me.