Condo Unit in bathroom ceiling

Originally Posted By: rdawes
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

In the past couple of weeks, we’ve inspected 2 condos that both had the AC air handler and electric heat unit in a drop ceiling in the bathroom. These were accessed thru a metal ceiling panel that was painted and had not been opened since painting. They could not be opened without marring the paint on the panel cover and in one case breaking a bead of paint covering the edges of the opening.

Do you guys break the paint seal to open these up to check them or do you just note that it was not readily accessible (which is what I did)?

Originally Posted By: tpope

I usually cut the paint seals to get access. I guess it would depend on how much damage I might do to the wall/ceiling finish. icon_smile.gif

Timothy Pope

www.craftsmaninspections.com

Austin, Tx Home Inspections

Originally Posted By: jpope

I carry a razor knife just for things like that. Interior condo panels are painted the same way 99% of the time (that’s if you can find which picture they’re hidden behind),

Jeff Pope

JPI Home Inspection Service

“At JPI, we’ll help you look better”

(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Yes, I also score the paint (with utility knife) on any grates, covers, panels etc. that need to be accessed.

There was a time where someone had caked a plaster material over the edges of a dead front cover to an electrical panel in a Condo. I didn't even attempt removal. I just disclaimed the electrical inspection and advised my client to have the material removed, as this cover needs to be fully accessible. Then to have an electrician evaluate internal wiring.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."