Condominium fire doors

Thanks guy’s I learned something here.:smiley:

Same here. I appreciate it guys.

Realize that a variance might have been granted for something other than what the code specifies (assuming a permit was pulled and the code used then is similar to the current codes). I process variances for small stuff like rated doors to big stuff like the building’s Type of Construction all the time. Most all usually get granted!!1

If the seller has a variance issued from the municipality, they can show it to the buyer after we make our findings.

Exactly.
But they probably don’t have a variance anyway. Even if they did, it’s long lost by now. And don’t count on the AHJ having a copy.
Also, most municipalities have amendments, additions, and deletions to the codes too. Not saying it applies here, but something to keep in mind.

I understand where you’re coming from as I am intimately familiar with the process of obtaining permits and requesting variances (money talks). However, as Home Inspectors, we shouldn’t concern ourselves with the idea that permission may have been given for a condition that we see as improper or unsafe.

Records are kept with regards to these matters and the seller can obtain proof if need be. If there are no records (for whatever reason) it’s the same as not having appropriate permits (IMHO).

Well, with that being said, I understand were you’re coming from. Not sure what the “money talks” was about, though.

I haven’t visited this site in many many months. Last I left it, most members said that home inspections are not code inspections. It appears that things have changed. That seems to be a good thing.

Bottom line in my opinion from a code standpoint, I think the condo door arrangement is ok. It works under the 2003 International Existing Building Code.

If you have the money, you can get a variance for almost anything.

Sure, you can seek getting a variance for any particular section of any code. That’s why the appeal process is set up.

When I sat on the Board, we would hear the testimony of permit applicants. Some had really good reasons, others merely said that the cost of doing it would be too much on there limited budget.

The variance was usually granted provided other life/safety things were in place - things that may have not been initially required. Of course, there were times when the variance wasn’t granted.

It’s all legal and part of the code review/permitting process.

But back to the thread and to keep things simple, the doors need to be rated if the corridor is req’d to be rated for a new building or C.O. req’d (opening protective section in the 2003 IBC). For an existing building without a C.O. required, the fire code has certain sections that are retroactive to existing buildings.

When it comes to permitting and code compliance for some items, a Person once told me, when I asked him, why he did not get a permit to do such work, He replied, **(it is much easier to receive forgiveness than it is to ask for permission.) **Therefore, there are a lot of people that will try this tactic, and in most cases, if they are wrong, they have the money to take care of it.
Personally, I would not try it, because I would not have the money to correct it if I had too.

Money is power in the right and wrong places.

Marcel :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
</IMG></IMG>