Conducting a radon test on a home with active mitigation

I tested a home earlier this year that had an Active Mitigation system installed and running that had just had the fan replaced, and the test came back at over 9 pCi/L. Obviously, the Mitigation Contractor had to make some adjustments (sealed the floor drains and seams) and after that, it tested well below the 4.0 level. Many people think that just because the manometer shows the system is “working”, that the Radon levels are safe, when, in fact, they may not be. Even if there is a mitigation system in place, I always offer the radon test to every client and I explain to them that the manometer merely shows that the fan is active and that the radon level may or may not be within the safe limits set by the EPA. The only sure way to know is to test…

2 Likes

Hi Michael,

In 4 years and testing hundreds of homes, nobody has ever asked for credentials. Buy a decent machine and follow the directions. The directions comply with federal guidelines. There’s nothing to be dishonest about. The machine is in compliance, all you do is plug it in, zero it out and unplug it 2 days later. Press the button and it tells you the radon level. Send the report. That’s why every state but New Jersey requires a course for certification. All you need to be concerned with is if it’s factory calibration is up to date, the certification with your machine is all you need. You have to send them out for calibration once a year. I have 3 machines now, they aren’t always being used but sometimes all three are out. They generate $140.00 every 48 hours of use. Last year, So you can see, they pay for themselves fairly quickly. I use a Sun Nuclear 1027. I shared a link to a used 1028 which is a better system and it’s less than I paid for my used 1027. He’s asking a very reasonable price. If I needed another right now, I would have bought one of them. Last year, I grossed $27,000 testing radon. I was averaging one test every 2 days. I also test radon without a home inspection. My only cost is gas and re-calibration once a year now.

BTW, You should start a thread in the “Report Writing” category and ask fellow inspectors to send you copies of some of their inspection and radon reports. Once you read them, a lot of things will begin to make more sense to you and you’ll start moving faster. Many of us would be happy to do it. You should review them and the different styles and it will help you adopt your own format. We all do it differently, the important thing is that your customers can easily understand your reports. That’s what gets you referrals, great reports.

Good luck, if you need anything just ask.

Neil Summers

[Neil Summers Home Inspections](http:// http://neilsummershomeinspections.com/index.html)

9213 Goose Pond Drive Pasadena Md. 21122 (410) 245-1361 neilsummers@comcast.net Visit us on Facebook! Lic.# 32592

1 Like

Oops, I meant to say New Jersey is the only state to require radon certification.

Not sure about that, But Many states require licensing to perform radon testing. Which can often be harder or more stringent than obtaining a certification.