conflict of interest?

Thanks for all the feedback. I did decline to do the inspection. It would have been my first as a licensed inspector (first one period) and I hated to give it up, especially after months of waiting for the paperwork, nearly a year of schooling, and thousands of dollars invested. But it seems the right decision.

Congratulations You will go a long way glad we all helped you and
glad we will all be here to give you assistance in the future .
your turn will come to give help too.
Roy Cooke

Good for you Steven, you made the right decision. I’m sure you’ll do well. I specialize in drywall contracting in the Portland area and decided that I would not inspect any homes where I have worked for a general contractor because I think the perception would be that I might not be as impartial as another inspector. But another reason why I wouldn’t want to inspect these houses is that many of the general contractors that I work for I’ve known for 10-20 years, are considered work friends, and in many instances I know history about the houses that I worked on that might not have been disclosed from my general contractor friends to their clients, or from the clients (sellers) now to the new buyers. I have no desire to get into any wrangling between the buyers and sellers, or back from the sellers to the g.c.'s. It was the general contractors responsibility to disclose known problems, and if they didn’t do it (I have no way of knowing whether they did or didn’t), I’m not going to put my self into a position of stirring up a hornets nest of issues. I have no way of knowing how those issues were resolved/not resolved, disclosed/not disclosed and I think I would be more trouble to my client than help. However, I wouldn’t have any problems inspecting a home where I did patch-and-repair work that was contracted directly with the homeowner. No relationship there other than a work one, and I would be happy to tell my clients everything I knew, including fixing the wallboard around the leaking skylites. Hope my past drywall clients were honest enough to disclose any history of leaking, because I’d certianly provide that information to my h.i. client’s.