Congrats to Claude Lawrenson, MICB's newest CMI.

http://www.certifiedmasterinspector.org/cmi/on.html

Congratulations Claude!

Have you told Oahi yet? :mrgreen:

Continued success.

Congrats Claude and welcome to the group.

BTW: many thanks to those that sent their congrats

On the issue of OAHI - I am not breaking any law or association requirement.
Cheers, Claude

Gee according to Steve Maxwell being a cowboy in anyother association is a no-no.

According to Mr. Lloyd its also a no-no to use CHI, or even belong to an associaton which bases entry requirements on web examinations. I thought he was very clear on how he felt about Nachi members, Nick and Nachi. Or maybe he is just a moron because he doesn’t like me, but diguises that fact because I happen to belong to OAHI, and Nachi and he could never prove anything he ever attempted to pin on me!

We know its not against the law Claude, but I don’t think anyone told Mr. Lloyd that, he seems to be on another page all the time!

:mrgreen::shock::mrgreen::shock::mrgreen::shock::mrgreen::shock::mrgreen::shock::mrgreen::shock::mrgreen::shock::mrgreen::shock::mrgreen::shock::mrgreen::shock::mrgreen::mrgreen::shock::mrgreen::shock::mrgreen::shock::mrgreen::shock:

I believe that there are “cowboys” out there! However, where I beg to differ is the difference between those that are properly trained and have “reasonable” knowledge and experience to do the job, versus those that become “instantly” certified. This not association based - this is not meant as a slam against an association either.

This issue transcend the bounds of associations. It about validation and verification to assure that people are not operating and taking advantage of the situation offered to them that impacts others. This about those that have earned the right to a title or designation. Those having been around long enough realize the difference. I am talking more specifically about those that often seem to look for the shortcuts, are here today, and gone tomorrow. Or they operate in a way to re-invent their new company tomorrow. Those are the irresponsible ones that give this sector a “bad name”, or a “cowboy” titled reference.

Some how some thing seems strange how Claude you direct your thoughts about NACHI and also the CMI .
I have never seen you say any thing about OAHI who allow and encourage the beginner Home Inspector to go out and do up to 200 inspections before they have to take an exam.
How about just a little fair play .

Cookie

Claude,

Just remember regardless of affiliation the cowboys are out there. I know several in OAHI and they are on the management level and some are on the Committee level. :wink:

**"However, where I beg to differ is the difference between those that are properly trained and have “reasonable” knowledge and experience to do the job, versus those that become “instantly” certified. This not association based - this is not meant as a slam against an association either. **

This issue transcend the bounds of associations. It about validation and verification to assure that people are not operating and taking advantage of the situation offered to them that impacts others. This about those that have earned the right to a title or designation."

Inspectors who have been successfully in the business for a number of years have already proven their competence and do not need to return to the class room to prove to a group of their fellow inspectors that they know what they are doing. Their business history proves it. Anything else is unwanted meddling in the affairs of a privately owned and operated business.

Claude,

Being a CMI, what are your thoughts about only signing a Notary affidavit to validate its requirements? Do you think that people are honest enough to be trusted to walk the walk and talk the talk?

Me think that cheaters only cheat themselves!

Some may thinks that its not enough but where do you draw the line and at what cost? Cheaters will always find ways to beat the system regardless of what system is in place.

This reminds me of a colleague who on the Canuck HI’s shared with us of some association member registering for a course and leaving to do inspection (s) only to return to sign the attendance sheet for his CEU credits. And commenting how stupid people are to stay for the course while money could be made…

Marcel

Those cowboys in OAHI are something else! :smiley:

Ray,

As you said on previous post, regardless of affiliation the cowboys are out there. :slight_smile:

You make me so happy I had the same thing happen and this person now is one of those in OAHI who is trying to control our destiny.
We where doing a all day course.
It goes back to Cheaters and liars never change .
he is also one of those who was fast tracted into getting his RHI
…Cookie

I beg to differ on these points. Some that have been in business for a few years may not have had a really good inspector follow them in most of their houses until 4-5-6-10 years later. I have found a couple of $10,000 misses in the past 1+1/2 years (K&T wire) not found by certified HI’s (and I’m only a student/candidate). Their business history may prove that they can spin a good storey and market themselves.

One unaligned inspector in this area used to hire me to help him in commercial inspections ($800/day). Since I was “associated with him in the past”, I’ve been getting 1-3 calls (last call was from an executive of an HI association) per year for the past 2-3 years looking for his address (which I do not know; ) so as to serve him with papers!!! There’s fraudulent advertising in his “Yellow pages” but no one is pushing the issue (only a few know that the fraud exists but do we have time to push the issue into the courts)

Try again - who was fast tracked into getting their RHI?
Did you ever take write the ASHI Exams?
Did you ever undergo the peer review and test inspection? If so by whom?
Again - I would be careful in assuring fact from rumour.
Matter of fact have you even written and successfully completed the provincial building code exams for the Ontario Ministry of Housing?

Marcel - I agree - cheaters only cheat themself - but some may feel that they can fool others. A legal opinion from my lawyer, it is not worth the paper it is written on. It is a legal witness to a signature of information declared by the declarant. Be it true or be it false. How the hell would the notary or lawyer know the difference.

I have been asked to have a few forms notarized over the past year - and he keeps telling me its a waste of time and money. This process is never suitable for public records or government issued documents. But he indicates will gladly take it, if that is what some people demand as the test of validation.

Yes and similar results in testing indicates any inspector can possibly fail - or pass today - and mess up big time tomorrow!

Experience and business years does not always = quality or client satisfaction. But knowledge and experience can help achieve quality - through quality control and good mentoring.

Strange how the most valuable piece of paper in the world a pass port takes notarized statements .
Just maybe you should get another lawyer.

Claude how about you trying to answer some of the questions asked of you before you start again expecting others to answer your questions.
Sorry but it is not a one way street I am not evading your questions just refusing to give you any more information till you start and get of your high horse and give us some answers .
You have evaded and tried to intimadate continually .
well You may think you can get away with your selfish attitude with others but they do not mean sweet F all to me .
… Cookie
Give some and you will receive some.
They truth as per usual upsets you well shi t or get the he ll of the pot

The fact that the inspector is still in business is proof positive that he has the knowledge and experience to do the job. If that was not the case he would have been in court and out of business already. We are not talking about the inspector who has managed to stay under the radar for a few years. More likely we are talking about the “student” who has been encouraged to carry out inspections without any experience, mentoring or training. No certification, accreditation or education can ensure that the inspector is not going to make mistakes. And certainly courses offered by H.I. organizations to gain qualification for their form of certification must be viewed as at the very least a money making conflict of interest.

The market place should decide who is and who is not qualified to be an inspector not a self appointed bunch of “good ole boys”.

OK - I am still waiting for info too! Where’s the bylaws and policies, or governance documents?

Perception is not always reality, and deception does not make it reality either. Nor will a notarized statement either. Even a promise…is still a risk without complete substantiation.

Claude,

Nachi is not obiligated to provide anything because it does not or has not relied on taxpayers money, whereas CAHPI-National has been partially funded with tax money. This makes CAHPI obligated to provide simple documents that any non-profit association should be able to provide.

Paul Blakeys refusal to provide the answers I asked about and your refusal to provide the answers just shows the extent of the problem with the National. Its appears to be hyped up big time and it also apppears people like Paul and others have been hood winked into joining apparently without all the facts.

Does CMHC know that documents are being witheld from those who wish to join? Or have Nat. Cert. holders like Paul been read the riot act and told they can’t think or speak for themselves?

You talk about affidavits not having any real weight. The same thing could be said about the National. If it can’t provide the documents it could be considered a roust by sucking rookies in. The cost of the National is not cheap and considering that, one must do their homework in ensuriing they have all the facts. Obviously the members in CAHPI know more about the program than those not in CAHPI, yet you say its open to all, … Well that is a contradiction based solely on documentation.

We need and want answers. Refusal to do so is not going to help the cause.