Construction Adhesives

On the OIR-B1-1802, 3C states that any system of screws, nails, adhesives, other deck fastening systems, etc…
I’ve been told that Liquid Nails applied to each side of the truss (in combination with an already nailed deck) will qualify for an equivilant uplift of 182psf.
My question is has anyone seen documentation on this specific to wind mitigation? I’ve seen that it will increase uplift by 200%, etc, but not that it will equal 182psf.

Very interesting.
Only problem is seeing that it is everywhere if done after construction.

I have never see one done well enough to give them credit.

Thas kind of a sticky situation. Tacky to say the least. That might not stick with the insurance co. Wish I could stay glued to this thread but …Ill stop now.

The ones that I have seen have not looked that good; I really think the only way that it works well is between the sheathing and the truss when the plywood is installed. Some of the engineers specify it on the first row of plywood at the perimeter after the code change in 2001.

Some of the ones that I have seen looked like a bad caulking job.

Spray foam adhesive. A couple of products out there with approval. The product one of our clients had installed was rated at 107 psf…Plus the 55 of his 6 d nailed deck, increased his rating accordingly.

The threshold for the last part of Answers B and C under Roof Deck Attachment is a product approval that demonstrates a ultimate load greater than 103 PSF or 182 PSF respectively (e.g. BASF Closed Cell or FoamSeal Adhesive) , or an engineers calculations demonstrating that the systems, assembly, etc meets or exceeds 103 PSF or 182 PSF respectively.

The adhesive applied along side the truss rafter required a quarter round or wood strip to be tacked into the adhesive bead. Applying the adhesive along side the truss rafter alone does not create a strong bond. In any case this would require an engineers evaluation because there are several factors that determine the bond strength.

Oh Dear :roll:

I would go directly to an engineer. Everything that’s more complicated than Sika is way over my league.

you can retrofit with a rated foam adhesive. I have a retrofit company “WindStorm Retrofit” — This was Mondays job

What do you say about the spots they missed, especially at the lower roof?

Why are you reviving an old thread, John?:neutral:
I’m just kidding. You’re right, though. As a retrofit, I’ve only seen it done correctly once and it involved more work than it was worth for client (IMO).
It was a 7/12 pitch and they removed the soffit to get to the rafter tails.

No offense to you but that sure does not look like it would do much .

You must go past the exterior wall and get the eaves. There are no missed areas. Not all homes are candidates for this application - especially low pitched Vaulted or flat roofs.

There are missed areas in your photos.

Photo’s were taken before final touch up. These were taken early to show homeowner what it would look like when done.