Consumer Protection complaint filed against USInspect today.

Originally Posted By: gromicko
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

This morning, Civil Justice of Baltimore, MD filed in Prince George’s County Courthouse a complaint against USInspect under the Consumer Protection Act for deceptive and unfair practices.

USInspect has yet to be served but will be soon.

![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

--
Nick Gromicko
Founder
dues=79cents/day.

I much prefer email to private messages.

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

Details… give us some details…

Joe Farsetta

Illigitimi Non Carborundum
"Dont let the bastards grind you down..."

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Nick,

Would you mind filling us in?
![](upload://jhTa9lXKx1L96hrdXYnnnqxOdoQ.gif)

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: kleonard

Hi Nick,

So I take it that they were not on your christmas list this year. HMMMM ![eusa_think.gif](upload://lNFeGuTetUAtwNVgUSOuUzgrGGK.gif)
Whenever you care to elaborate, I'm all eyes.

Kevin Leonard
The Home Inspection Company
TheHome-Inspection.com

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

Correct, NAHI… oops I mean USInspect was not on my Christmas list. Anyway, I want to reiterate that this has nothing to do with individual USInspect inspectors.

I very much love and respect my fellow individual USInspect NACHI members who do great inspection work and are always helping NACHI and consumers across the country.

--
Nick Gromicko
Founder
dues=79cents/day.

NAHI, in return for money (a certain amount of membership dues from USInspect) agreed to permit USInspect to offer Coldwell Banker money to steer their clients away from certified inspectors. Both NAHI and Coldwell Banker accepted the $$$.

Scum.

--
Nick Gromicko
Founder
dues=79cents/day.

NAHI friends… please… don’t start freaking out on me! It’s nothing personal.

Nick Gromicko

Founder

dues=79cents/day.

Originally Posted By: ahalstead

sounds like a little bit of “tie-in” arrangement going on here … just got out of real estate school … and to think, I almost signed up with Coldwell …

inspection association on the other.

Stuff like this is why NACHI doesn't even accept one paid ad on any of its websites, (not even a little banner ad)... and I might also say, our websites are the industry's most popular (sorry, couldn't help myself with that last line ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ).

--
Nick Gromicko
Founder
dues=79cents/day.

All humor aside, this is serious. This hurts us all.

Here is what's going to be fun as all heck though...

As you know, we always enjoy watching those few NACHI detractors get all frustrated trying to find something to complain about at NACHI. Now that there exists something really wrong in our industry, something relevant and current and fueled in part by an association... will they be even equally as vigilant and loud? If so, they'll earn my respect.

So Chad Fabry, Jeff Remas, Dan Harris, Brian Goodman, Scott Patterson and the like... are you all of a sudden going to be silent hypocrites now? I guess we'll see if you are men or not.

Hee hee ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) .

--
Nick Gromicko
Founder
dues=79cents/day.

Originally Posted By: kleonard

WOW,

Sounds like a few individuals forgot about their COE's,,, on both sides. It's a shame that people will make & or accept bribes instead of making money the old fashioned way......EARNING IT. Respect is something else that comes to mind here that must be earned. If these allegations are proven true, I for one would think that the parties involved would lose all respect in the communities they do business in.

On another note, Right now it is thundering outside with heavy snow. I won't be dreaming of a white Christmas this year. Here in the Cincinnati area we have received about 8 inches of snow today with another 10-12 predicted for tomorrow. The most snow ever to fall in December here. Here is a cool website for those of you who like to keep track of the weather.

http://weather.noaa.gov/radar/loop/DS.p19r0/si.kiln.shtml

Kevin Leonard
The Home Inspection Company
TheHome-Inspection.com

Originally Posted By: dbowers

How is this going to hurt the industry or home inspectors anymore than the suits filed against ASHI earlier this year for I can’t remember what exactly - but something like unfair trade practices, etc…

Originally Posted By: dbowers

" clients away from “CERTIFIED INSPECTORS” (certified by who by the way) they don’t need NAHI, ASHI or NACHI’s permission to do so.

Something doesn't smell right with the statement the way its posted.

Originally Posted By: escanlan

Hello Nick,

Went WEB searching and could not find any info on this. Do you, or anyone out there, have a good source of online news covering this and other HI news that is unbiased and reports all?

Happy Holidays to all! ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Thanks

Emmanuel Scanlan

Knowledge is power but sharing knowledge brings peace!

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

CB’s Concierge Program is designed to promote participants’ services. Its like a package deal for CB clents who want an easy way to shop for service providers. Movers, attorneys, painters, carpenters, catpet, floorng, cabinets, siding, and yes… home inspectors.

It is a vendors list, similar to thome that many of us work hard to be a part of in many real estate offices. The difference here is whether an inspector can become a part of Concierge absent of a payment. Andf, presumably, the larger the contribution, the larger the promotion.

Some will argue that this is simply good marketing. Others will say that this is unfair trade practice. This is especially significant if CB directs its agents (which are all subcontractors, by the way) or paid employees to ONLY promote thise who are part of Concierge.

The other big question regarding this scenario is whether it can be proven that USINspect is engaged in predatory business practices, and whether it can be proven if its involvement in NAHI and any alleged involvement in this program.

It sounds like the old "payola" in the radio industry years back. I believe that Concierge was outlawed in Florida sometime last year. It will be interesting to see how this all shakes out in coming months.

--
Joe Farsetta

Illigitimi Non Carborundum
"Dont let the bastards grind you down..."

Originally Posted By: dvalley

For those of you who have missed Nicks’ endeavors’…

David Valley

MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

they agreed to permit this ethics violation (which both ASHI and NACHI tried to prevent)… they came up with what they call a “corporate sponsorship” for USInspect. Or as I call it… a “let’s call this bribe something else” fee.

Nick Gromicko

Founder

dues=79cents/day.

in terms of ethics. Our decision to refuse to accept paid ads has parallels to this evil concierge program. It wasn’t too long ago that a mold laboratory, drooling over our 71 million hits/year and 91,000 unique visitors a month, offered us $10,000.00/month to run a little itty bitty banner ad. We’ may be $10,000.00/month poorer for turning it down but our industry is richer for it. I feel NACHI leads this industry in many areas… but I know we’re the undisputed front-runner in ethics. No spin.

Nick Gromicko

Founder

dues=79cents/day.

Originally Posted By: jcahill

I do not know the facts behind NAHI Ethics changes or any alleged litigation against ASHI. Those organizations are best to provide such details.

In my opinion, any form of compensation given to any party that has a monetary interest which is dependent on the closing of a property is a potential conflict of interest regarding the home inspectors role.

Call it advertising, referral fee, preferred provider, bribe, kick back or associate program, it does not matter. The function of an inspector is inherent to conflicting with the financial interest of the party depending on the closing at some point in time. When that happens the inspector must choose the integrity of his product or the marketing relationship. It is that potential decision that makes the practice unethical if the best interest of the client is considered.

John Cahill

Well said John.

Nick Gromicko

Founder

dues=79cents/day.