Continuing ed. att: Ben

For 5 bucks why not :slight_smile: I never felt I needed one anyhow but I did not know what the State was going to do in the beginning so I covered my A s s. Now it just looks good with all the other useless numbers and certs. Once I obtain something I normally keep and maintain it.

I would sure be a lot better off if I went into the nursery biz 30+ years ago and kept that running. Now just because someone has been in biz for a certain period of time they get the GOLDEN GIFT and the ability to grow Americas Biggest Cashcrop and the rest of us are just s h i t out of luck. OUR IDIOTS at work “for us” what a bunch of crap for us is…

Thanks Richard :slight_smile:

Are you still on that kick? Division I contractors cannot advertise for home inspection work without a HI license.

Meeker, look at post #11 in this thread again for CILB required CEU’s.

I think you forgot one other required hour…Advanced Code. I needed 5 hrs after the Nachi WM course.

Yes. Still on it. I don’t believe my posted stated anything about advertising home inspection services. If I am not mistaken, it is settled law (through the Koning CILB dec statement) that licensed contractors do NOT need a home inspectors license to perform home inspections. Furthermore, as the CILB has no standards of practice for a home inspection and no penalties for a botched home inspection performed by a licensed contractor, a licensed contractor who also holds a home inspector license may actually be unnecessarily exposing himself and his business to additional liability exposure and regulation. With that said and assuming the above is correct, a prudent licensed contractor with knowledge of risk management concepts would not renew the home inspector license.

It is almost always easier to keep something active just in cast the idiots change the rules like they always do instead of having to re obtain some dumb a s s State required certificate.

We all have to deal with this because of the IDIOTS that were for licensing, PERIOD.

Do not even try to argue the above statement because I will not even bother to respond to you.

I guess that would be true if the contractor didn’t really want to do home inspections (most don’t). Can’t have much volume if you can’t even have a business card for home inspection work. I really don’t see what the problem would be, as there would not be much competition with other home inspectors in the same area if the contractor can’t advertise at all.

Koning also got Div I contractors to be exempt from the MRS rules if they find mold on a job they are already working on, but they still can’t offer mold related services to the general public without the extra license.:roll:

I understand your thought process and reasoning relating to advertising for services as it relates to the home inspector licensing law. I believe that the Koning dec statement clears the way for contractors to advertise they perform home inspections. Thinking logically, (I know that rarely happens with Government), if it is settled law that home inspection is within the scope of a contractors license, it is unlikely that a court of law would even consider prosecuting a case against a licensed contractor for advertising a service that settled law (Koning CILB dec statement) specifically says is within the scope of the license held by the contractor. DBPR has gone to great lengths to avoid answering this question.

Here is what the Koning declaratory statement says.

The Board’s Order,
filed on May 16, 2012, issues a declaratory statement that
home inspection services as described in the Petition are within
the scope of licensure of a Certified Division 1 Contractor,
provided the Division 1 contractor is not holding themselves
out specifically as a home inspector
licensed under the Chapter
468, Florida Statutes.

Yes. that is exactly what it says. It does NOT say that a Div/ 1 contractor cannot advertise that he does home inspections under the scope of his chapter 489 license.

I do believe it does, Steve. Holding yourself out as a Home Inspector is advertising that you provide home inspection services…what am I missing here?

I am not an attorney, and the attorneys at DBPR are unwilling to take a formal position either way. However, I believe that the language in the Koning CILB dec statement says that a contractor cannot advertise “specifically” that he does home inspections as a home inspector licensed under chapter 468. It does not say that he cannot advertise that he or she does home inspections under the scope of his chapter 489 license.

If you find some contractor advertising like that, will you let me know?

I am not actively looking- but- I guess we need someone to be a test case.

Thanks for coming out and admitting that as I respect the truth and was thinking myself this very night that that was your primary goal all along.

I am normally right about my hunches but do like to have them verified.

Again I respect you honesty in the matter. You should consider politics :slight_smile:

Coming out and admitting what?

Ohhhh nooothing :slight_smile:

Just seems to me you have been trolling for sometime trying to get at least me to drop my license. But hey what do I know, maybe the heat and scumbags has finally fried my brain?

Yes, I forgot to mention that I got that one hour free by attending a DBPR sponsored course - 2010 FLORIDA BUILDING CODE - EXISTING

I’m going with the heat.

I have no interest in catching a contractor advertising home inspections.  To the contrary,  I believe that the Koning Dec statement allows contractors to do home inspections and advertise that they do home inspections (within the scope of their 489 license).  The point that I have been trying to make is that DBPR does NOT want to provide clear direction on this issue.  (translated as "follow the money" for those of you with heat exposure).  There have been repeated attempts to get clear guidance from DBPR on this issue- and each time - they have refused to answer.  As for my statement in a previous post regarding a "test case", unfortunately,  I believe that is the only way to get DBPR  to take a formal position on the issue.  When that happens, the home inspector licensing program will implode due to lack of funding once the contractors discover that they have been duped in a revenue generating scheme to fund the home inspector licensing program and they all non renew their licenses.  As the vast majority of home inspector licenses have been sold to contractors, when they non renew, the home inspection licensing program will likely collapse.  Once the money flow dries up, there will suddenly be no need to regulate home inspectors and the license and B.S regulation will likely go away.

I hope you are right because it is a useless waste of our time and money and hurts all of us .

Steve,
It says, “within the scope of their license”. Where does it say that gcs routinely “inspect” homes, or anything else, during the normal course of performing work under their licence? The code official inspects their work.