Conventional Roof bracing

Closely read my posts again before commenting.

So the uprights that connect the strong backs are what this customer and contractor are calling out. Only calling it out cause the customer got mad at the first contractor for no reason. Basically we filed a lien on the property due to non payment and within a month they said they had an inspection done by a contractor who claimed to be a state inspector but is not. He identified and added more uprights to the strong backs and then we were notified of said inspection. The reason I’m here is to find out if a contractor can inspect and then “fix” defects that he claims to be wrong without calling an engineer. This is clearly something that looks like an engineer would have to make the call on. The house was built according to blueprints provided by the customer. However the foundation was 2 inches out of square and numerous changes were made. I hate to make this a forum where I complain I just don’t understand how a newer contractor can state such and such defects and then fix them without notifying the other contractor that there was any defects until legal action happens.

It’s just fishy.

Project completed on 12-13-17.

Said inspection happened 2-28-18 no notice of defects after inspection.

Lien filed 3-28-18

Legal action started 4-1-18 stating an inspection was failed.

The timeline is just so strange.

Hopefully the moderator lets this post through but I do appreciate all the info I’ve gotten from the inspectors that have responded. Thank you all.

Where is the home located (City, County, State)?

Did the build contract or plans specify the version of any building codes that would be used?

If the home is required to be built to building codes then the customer and the contractor have made a correct call with excessively spaced purlin braces. This is from the 2015 International Residential code (next version would be 2018).

However again having stated that were the use of purlins even required for that particular rafter span? There is not sufficient information to determine that (see previous posts). If the purlins were not required then they can be removed and unless the plans state otherwise the rafter support would meet required building codes. Whether needed or not they are in and they are incorrect as displayed in your pictures and previously explained.

I am not aware of any State that would not allow a contractor to inspect a single issue in a home. As for whether the contractor can repair this issue without contacting an Engineer I am also not aware of any State that would not allow that. What most all States would not allow is if the contractor tried representing themselves as an Engineer and providing engineering advice. Was there anything within the customer provided plans that specified the installation of purlins were to be performed in the way you displayed in this thread?

Emmanuel,

The plans did not give span specifications. The contractor figured the rafter spans on sight, used the strong back bracing because the span was more than 20 feet (he made that call)

The home is located in Wheeler county Nebraska, Bartlett is the city. The home is out in the country.

The contractor that did the inspection made load transfer suggestions. The load is correctly transferred to the correct footing in the basement.

Our written contract says the house will be built according to plan. No mention of codes. In rural Nebraska outside of city limits, I don’t believe there are code requirements. Wheeler county does not have a building inspector that works for the city or county. The Bank that the customer had financing through said they didn’t order and inspection nor were they planning too.

We have stick framed in Norfolk, NE for the majority of the homes and those homes are inspected by a City building inspector. No bracing corrections have been requested at any time before this.

The Homeowner is looking for an avenue for us to pay them back about 12,000 dollars on a house contract that was 22,500 to build the home.