Cork insulation

Has anyone seen loose fill cork used as insulation in at attic? Yesterday’s morining inspection was a 60 year old with what appears to be cork, in pieces from pea sized to almost baseball sized. Having never seen this before, I performed a Neuman test over the bathroom sink, and this stuff is definatley flammable.
I know a picture would help. I’ll try that later.
Stu

I Love it !!! :smiley:

You just coined a new phrase !!! He should be flattered !!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

That’s the idea. Mayber be wont’t dog me for not being able to post a dang picture. But what about the cork?
Stu

Granulated and agglomerated cork as insulation was mostly an industrial product in 40’s, 50’s, and early 60’s.

Article from cork industry group on cork insulation in the home.

http://www.realcork.org/artigo.php?art=11

They also say that cork is almost completely fire resistant. Maybe you’re not dealing with cork?

I believe a true Neuman test would have entailed inhaling…:shock::mrgreen::shock:

From somewhere within that same URL:

“The manufacturing of cork products for the building industry produces an important waste product, cork powder. This powder is commonly burned to produce steam and/or energy which is used in the factories themselves, given the high energy content of this material.”

Obviously, cork is flamable. When I was young we used to burn cork to make a charcoal product for art usage.

I am posting these pics for Sturart. Does anyone recognize this insulation?

PB146103 (Small).JPGPB146111 (Small).JPG

I’m not sure wtf a neuman test is

But a true Neumann test would require you to take that insulation back to your office first b4 lighting…:wink: If this were the members only secion I would tell you what I would do with the fumes.

Tony, I think the “Neuman test” refers to a post you made a few days ago about burning something in a sink to test it.

What, nobody has an opinion of this stuff?

Let’s help Stuart out if you have seen this type of insulation posted in post #8.

It looks odd to me. And I also note the buried K&T

Michael,
Thanks for your help posting the photo. I did note the k&t.
Jae, you are right.
Tony, no offense meant. I’ll spell your last name right next time.
Stu

Your welcome.
Please don’t tell Jae he’s right too often or he will have to buy a new hat.:wink:

Stu,

Did that insulation feel like cork?

It is some strange looking stuff.
From the pics it looks like a mixture of materials.

First and foremost, gongrats Tony for a test being named after yewwww.:smiley: I recall testing a fallen stand of eucalyptus trees once as a youth with bottle rockets. :twisted:

Michael it looks like cork to me, from here.
</IMG></IMG></IMG>

Hey, Maude–come look at this…you ain’t gonna believe it.

Gotta print this thing out and send it to my mother-in-law (she’ll never believe it, neither).

http://ec2.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000BOABWW.01-AS0K3MKEU5H24.SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V45300781.jpg

Yep, it felt like cork-real light, floated in the sink after I lit it, like cork.
I don’t know how cork acts when it burns, but this stuff kink of had an oily, sooty smoke. Kinda harsh.
Mark, after reading the link you provided, I’m thinking this was originally thick cork board that was reground, or just busted up, and spread around in this attic. Thank you.
Stu

Have seen cork in commercial applications, only once in residential. looks like cork.

Cork will burn with the right conditions present. No matter if it has been treated or not.

Just give it enough heat and air it will smolder for days. Old cold storage was being torn down, cutting torch set of the cork insulation (about 12" walls) damn thing burnt for over a week. Demolition company and fire department finally gave up and let it burn out.