Corner plate on slab repair

Anyone see this kind of repair?

Do you mean to ask is the repair adequate?

If so, we have not nearly enough information to make a judgement call like that.

I see holes without bolts. What kind of plate and why was the repair made in the first place?

You may be better off putting it back in the seller’s lap. Why was the repair done? Did you use an engineer to calculate the needs for the repair? Please produce the paperwork, with his stamp on it. Etc., etc., etc.

If no engineer was used, have the seller get one to assess the repair and give his approval or no approval.

Just my opinion to think about.

1 Like

Yes as long as it is properly performed it can be considered as an effective repair. However when it reaches a point that they are making this level of repair it is typically a large issue. I would dump it back on the seller to provide documentation as to who and why performed the repair to ensure it was properly engineered if needed.

1 Like

You beat me to it!

Great minds think alike. :joy::upside_down_face::ok_hand::thinking:

1977 build. I advised the buyer to: 1. get all the information on the repair. (20 piers, that much I found out), including the work sheet, 2. transferability of warranty, 3. and 3rd party evaluation by a structural engineer. It was done a year ago, and I’m seeing some hairline cracks on the brick. Doors and window all work well, and no cracks in tile floors

If you look closely you will notice it’s holding (or trying to) the masonry corner in place:

Bolts are most likely inserted into where the foundation was still in tact, approx. 12" on the left side, 4" from corner on the right. Ugly repair. Depending on the depth of the void, whether or not there were anchors set in to pin the repair, what the mortar/concrete mix was used to fill the void, most likely that fabricated metal strap is only acting as a form at this point.

IMO, I would be surprised if this was an engineered repair. Sloppy mortar work, bolt pulled out at lower left, but nice fresh paint job!

1 Like

…sold!

Beautiful paint job! You can not tell that the corner brick was poorly redone, and that there are different shades of mortar/masonry.

The adjacent downspout discharge might make that repair a temporary one, engineered or not. Looks like the grade is already starting to dip.

A wide angle shot would be helpful.

Where is Bubba when you need him?

Those outside corners are high-stress areas. Here in CO we see the corners missing chunks commonly in houses built in the 60’s. Typically, they don’t even bother to repair them and the loss of chunks doesn’t seem to have much effect on the integrity of the brick above.
40%20PM
This is the first photo I found and it’s possible (even likely) that because of the downspout, freezing water next to the foundation could have caused this damage. In homes of this age, even when the downspouts are adequately terminated missing corners are common in certain areas.

I believe our member Randy Mayo P.E. drew this to explain what is going on with most corner pops.

Exactly this is not a repair, this is an ridiculous attempt to hide the obvious instead of doing the repair needed.