Corrosion Issue Need Advice

Half joking about the toilet because I see often times, bathrooms right above with toilets leaking on to the old HWH .

Look up sacrificial anode.

Mike if you look at your pic very close, you will see the hot pipe is corroded around the tank connection and not the copper to galv ,which looks fine,is what I was referring to above.

Thanks for all the help. I will clean it up when I get a chance and see if I can tell better. So if I understand you correctly you think the tank itself is corroding there and not the connection? Ok sacrificial anode are like Zincs on a boat. I do not understand are they used on hotwater heaters also? Inside already or something I install?

I am beat and going to bed I will check the post in the morning. Thanks to all who have helped. :smiley:

They can be replaced.
Just Google it.
location is where that round cover is on top.
You can see the corrosion through it from inside in your picture.

I have never changed one myself however.

http://www.americanwaterheater.com/support/manuals/res-elect.pdf

Page 11

Each water heater contains at least one anode rod, which
will slowly deplete while protecting the glass-lined tank
from corrosion and prolonging the life of the water heater.
Certain water conditions will cause a reaction between
this rod and the water. Once the anode is depleted, the
tank will start to corrode, eventually developing a leak.

Bob thanks for all the info. I really appreciate it

I still would take the course i posted it would benefit your knowledge i was not being smart ***.

Wayne, I was not referring to you and apologize if it appeared that way. My stalkers know who they are. I will check it out. thanks.

dude change your water heater asap. it could leak at any time and then what !

Times are tough. I may go tankless.

I agree with last post. Dont overthink, Time for a new water heater. 200$ Home Depot-Installation-1 hr, can you sweat pipe, Mike?

hey how much for tankless and where do I get one?

I have not tried but I got a pal that can.

Three page article should answer your basic questions…

http://www.builderonline.com/energy-efficiency/tankless-water-heaters-versus-conventional-storage-tanks.aspx?page=1

Thanks Jeff I will check it out.

Mike, you’re a licensed contractor, right? Don’t buy Water Heaters at Home Improvement Stores :slight_smile: I always bought stuff like that from trade supply houses. Takagi’s aren’t too bad, just make sure you understand Pros and Cons of both set ups. Try getting a trickle of hot water from a tankless… try it.

Seriously though, If you are a lic/regst’d contractor, a plumbing supply house may offer you a better product for less money.

The plumbers I know would shoot me if I bought the brands at HI stores, they have problems (you can look at the brands next time you’re there). I’ve had a couple of plumbers tell me that I should look pretty hard whenever I see one of those tanks installed, as some Homeowner went and bought one and “hooked it up”… Don’t prove 'em right Mike!

As far as not knowing how to sweat, you may be better off dealing with compression fittings/couplings if you’re not familiar with sweating copper. You wouldn’t be saving money by buying a decent torch and other tools. http://www.doityourself.com/stry/cutjoincopperpipe

:slight_smile:

Theres a plumbing supply in Miami, you can get Titan tankless there wholesale, Ill get the # from my boy Al the plumber, You may need an EC depending on your amps. let you know t’morrow

Good Grief! Its a water heater, not the Space Shuttle.:wink:

It could be if installed wrong…:slight_smile: