Corrugated Stainless Steel Gas Lines: A Hidden Danger

Use this thread to discuss the entry Corrugated Stainless Steel Gas Lines: A Hidden Danger at the InterNACHI Blog

old news

http://www.wfaa.com/video/index.html?nvid=268648

Where was the city inspector???

not on the job, obviously :roll:

Might be the part of the world I live in but I have never seen a gas line in the attic. One exception is when there has been an addition (that needs gas) that is on the other side of the house from the meter. Then I’ve seen black iron running along the bottom of the truss. Here’s the stupid question. Why would you run CSST in the attic anyway? Doesn’t it use less tubing if you run it in the floor joists/trusses? Same problem could occur of course.

As usual, the problem is not the product (which is approved) or the roofers. The problem is the installer and the GC for not hiring qualified installers.

Just like Romex. The problem is not the product, but how it is used.

My theory, hereby labeled the “Decker Theorum” is that most construction defects occur “where trades collide”. The siding guy and the roofer may both be good and qualified, but where their work joins (soffits, fascia, flashing) they do not work together to make sure that they bith understand the requirements of each others work. Seen it, many times, where an EIFS sided wall comes in contact with a new roof. Or when the framers do a perfectly good job, but the plumbers come along and notch the joists.

Does anyone have a standard installation requirement for the product with drawings or photos? Should the bonding in the electrical service panel be identified so as to know the purpose of this ground?