CPSC Recall

Lol Nathan doesn’t have to shove anything down your guys throats. You do it all on your own. The ones that complain drag him here

If that’s what you were getting out of my reply, great. I don’t think that’s the case, but spin away.

Not sure I agree Juan, I signed up for said service, even submitted some information with it. I, like others haven’t decided if it was a “match” for my service or not. Like many we serve, it takes time to decide on things… and our profession tends to serve those that are fairly well educated and aren’t throwing caution to the wind… after all, they are having and paying for an inspection if we’re involved. In general, many property buyers that I’m dealing with now are much farther ahead of the curve than say… 5-10 years ago (that’s a good thing!).

FWIW
Where the endless threads have been privately drug through the mud and most all of us have been silent about it (they are in a closed part of the forum). I don’t agree with spun or less than truthful statements being broadcast about aspects of our profession. This area of the forum isn’t a closed portion.

I guess what I’m saying is… we are all entitled to an opinion of each other, but let’s keep it within reason.

Ancillary services can be of benefit to both the consumer and the inspector, I’m sure. The Standards of Practice for many of us (I know… you’ll say minimum inspector I’m sure… I’m far from it :mrgreen: ). I’d also like think there was some wisdom in just about every SOP’s mention of not inspecting recalls (most all of us do… esp the big ticket appliances).

Where all of this fits in, I’m not sure… this product and the message are new, and I plan on being around for some time and proceeding carefully as to best serve my customers.

100% agree with you unfortunately Linas makes everything personal and I should have known better than to take his bait.

Let him continue his ranting and baiting alone as I am through here.
Have to much work and a report to complete.

I don’t like having someone tell me I need it to grow my business. You can fall for it. I continue to grow without it and have for the past 5 years. Go for it, monkey see, monkey do.

I didn’t make it personal, you took it personally. I’m not falling for Nathans gimmicks, this isn’t for me. I don’t need to give him my money to survive or grow. Period.

Thanks Tim,
As many have said and will agree, we have never had a vendor push his crap on us so much, never. It’s a turn off.
http://www.nachi.org/forum/f2/recallchek-conclusion-beware-77599/index104.html#post992629

Every inspection is performed per the terms of the inspection agreement between the client and the inspector. Ancillary inspection services require a separate agreement and charge.
When the home inspector … the person hired and trusted to report things that might be wrong with the house that one intends to buy … begins providing “free” incentives to help the potential buyer decide to purchase the home by addressing future recalls of appliances or ”free warranties” should things break, this could indicate that someone other than the home buyers’ interests are being considered. A ”red flag” of warning should be waiving high and flapping loudly in the breeze.

That’s a good point. A home inspector also might not have his clients best interest in mind if he is a bare minimum inspector http://www.ahouseonarock.com/bareminimuminspector/

Uhum,

The perceived “attack” on fellow inspectors was by you in your marketing materials.

Please stop calling black white.

I cannot believe another thread got started about the same old topic. As I have stated before numerous times, recallchek may be a good and useful product for any homeowner but is in no way a reflection of the quality of the inspection at all. It is another useful service to offer your client that same as washing and waxing their car at the inspection or better yet changing their oil and rechecking it for them on a monthly basis. Like* said it has nothing to do with the quality of the inspectors ability, heck In my opinion the Realtor should run around during an inspection and take down the model numbers for their client and submit them to recallchek so the inspector can concentrate on whats really important…The Condition Of The Home. Seriously during the inspection there is so much time the client and their Agent just sit around talking about whatever, they could be doing this for not just a few select appliances, but for any and all that they want added to their monthly check? That makes more sense than the inspector wasting their time and only doing a few appliances.*

Jim

I strongly agree Jim and previously told Nathan, in the first Recall thread, that he should be marketing RC directly to RE agents, Not home inspectors.

Being an agent himself I’m guessing he already knows what the majority response will be. (They would rather put the burden on the inspector).

I agree, I can’t really see what other reason he could have not to? I am sure he will enlighten us with some reasons shortly.:roll:

Jim

I also wonder why, if so many brokers and agents are finding this service as fantastic as advertised, t the point where ty are droppiing inspectors in favor of RecallChek guys… then why wouldn’t/shouldnt this service be marketed directly to agents in the first place?

I will let you all know of my findings on Tuesday or Wednesday evening after my class with brokers and agents. The subject is ancillary inspection services.

I am putting feelers out on the recall checking concept, and on the 90-day warranty concept.

Since recall check is in play years after Agent involvement and does not effect the sale at all in any way they may not care at all but might would very much like the marketing aspect which I am sure you will not do much of a job selling due to your inherent bias.

Also many Agents are as poor at marketing as we are so your personal experience which we are not able to witness means nothing here.

Chug-a-lug. Last call. The bar is closing.

They still open at 5:30 am over there Linas.?
Not a good idea for you to be posting in this condition.Get some sleep.

I am also going to be talking to a group of Realtors that I have worked with for years this week. We were supposed to meet last week but snow caused us to delay until this week. Remember I am not a hater of RC, in fact I think it has a value to all home owners, my concern is whether it has a place within the Home Inspection process at all. Also where does the buck stop. As Linus used in his original post a recall on a bike, well this is actually a valid point. Do you only do the RC on what you feel is an important appliance? what about other important items, such as, Cribs, baby seats, food processors, pencil sharpeners, garden hoses… the list is endless. What if something happens to an item you did not put on your list? what would the liability be in that instance? (if any). That being said maybe this service is more of an Agent to Client responsibility rather than a home inspector? The home inspectors main goal is to Inspect the condition of the home at the time of the inspection and report to their client the findings. There job should not include looking into a crystal ball ball to the future of removable appliances that may or may not be in the home at a later date. Also IF you believe the product is good for the client, then once again isn’t better for the agent to offer it and show the client how to add additional items to the list?

Like I have been saying all along, I am just not sure how and if this RC product should fit into my business if at all or would it be a better gimmick for the agents to help sell the home as it clearly has no affect at all on the Quality of the actual Home Inspection itself. I would rather just give my clients some flyer showing/explaining all about how they can use RC and be done with it. No liability, now wasted time, no expense for me.:cool:

Jim