Crack in a fire box...pic included

Please tell me where NACHI’s SOP says any of us can disclaim a system or component of the home “for whatever reason we want” other than it being inaccessible or unsafe.

Mark himself said he differed with the SOP.

The limited inspection you mention isn’t even defined as a home inspection in my state.

That seems to do it for me. :wink:

You’re right Joe, a single structural inspection isn’t defined as a Home Inspection in IL either. A roof and structural inspection would be considered a home inspection as it is two systems.

Rick I see where your trying to go however if your contract states your inspecting per the SOP you better include everything unless you specifically state each and every item that’s not included and why.

Joe, serving two masters sometimes gets confusing for me. :frowning: I abide first by my state’s SOP and then, a distant second, is INACHI’s. Generally speaking, if I have abided by my state’s SOP then I’ve more than covered INACHI’s. One difference is that we have a departure provision that INACHI may not. it reads:

A while back a Commentary was being developed for our state SOP and the pertinent section read like this (bold is mine):

So, that’s where I’m coming from. In other words, if I were to elect to not inspect fireplaces then I could disclaim them upfront with the client and if the client agrees then I would be in compliance with my state’s SOP. If the client didn’t agree he could move on to the next HI on his list. So, if I decide that I don’t inspect a certain item because it’s inaccessible, unsafe or I’m not qualified to inspect or whatever reason I determine then I have a path via my state SOP to depart from the SOP. I can also depart from the SOP if the client and I agree to delete any items he is not concerned about, and that comes in handy for certain investor inspections. If any of that violates INACHI’s SOP then so be it.

What SOP are you guys reading?

Why do you think Mark MUST inspect it?

2.4. Heating
I. The inspector shall inspect:
II. The inspector is not required to:

A. inspect or evaluate interiors of flues or chimneys, fire
chambers, heat exchangers, combustion air systems, fresh air
intakes, humidifiers, dehumidifiers, electronic air filters,
geothermal systems or solar heating systems.

2.8. Fireplace

II. The inspector is not required to:

A. inspect the flue or vent system.
B. inspect the interior of chimneys or flues, fire doors or screens,
seals or gaskets, or mantels.
C. determine the need for a chimney sweep.
D. operate gas fireplace inserts.
E. light pilot flames.
F. determine the appropriateness of any installation.
G. inspect automatic fuel-feed devices.
H. inspect combustion and/or make-up air devices.
I. inspect heat distribution assists, whether gravity controlled or
fan-assisted.
J. ignite or extinguish fires.
K. determine adequacy of draft or draft characteristics.
L. move fireplace inserts, stoves, or firebox contents.
M. perform a smoke test.
N. dismantle or remove any component.
O. perform a National Fire Prevention Association (NFPA)-
style inspection.
P. perform a Phase I fireplace and chimney inspection.

Thanks, David. :smiley:

It would do some of us good to read the SOP we operate under to understand it better even if we go beyond it.

David, Larry…I think the issue that Mark has indicated he does not even do the folllowing per the INACHI SOP, but he does tell the client that upfront & why:

Yup. Per Illinois law (and IMO good business practice), any system not to be inspected must be stated in the contract. The why doesn’t matter as long as the client knows what their getting with the inspection.

Also, as required by law, my contract states that I will inspect to IL SOP which states, in part

Licensing solved this. :wink:

From my inspection agreement:

The inspection and report do not address and are not intended to address the possible presence of or danger from any potentially harmful substances and environmental hazards including but not limited to radon gas, mold, lead paint, asbestos, urea formaldehyde, toxic or flammable chemicals and water and airborne hazards such as mold mildew or fungus. Also, excluded are inspections of and report on spas, swimming pools, wells, septic systems, chimneys/fireplaces. security systems, central vacuum systems, water softeners, sprinkler systems, propane tanks, fire and safety equipment and the presence or absence of rodents and termites, unless contracted otherwise.

David,

2.8. Fireplace
[INDENT]A. the fireplace, and open and close the damper door, if readily
accessible and operable;

Can’t do either without looking in it!

[/INDENT]

As posted, you can limit your inspection as long as your client understands what he is contracting for.

It sounds here that if you don’t do something in the SOP, you have to go stand in the corner or something!

This is not the case.
You can not completely comply with the SOP and still be in compliance.
Read the SOP, without reading into it.

You simply report:

Fireplace: The fireplace inspection is outside the scope of this home inspection as outlined in the bargained for home Inspection Agreement.

Home Inspection Agreement: This inspection does not cover any component related to a wood burning fireplace… Clients Initials: _______

I understand you can however I don’t think it’s wise to deviate from it. Just my .02 cents

Limiting the inspection to whatever systems you and the client agree to inspect is not deviating from the SOP, IMO.

Why? Inquiring minds want to know.

We can’t go in and do the job the clients specifically wants because of some SOP?

[/quote]
As to the COE, I do “substantially” follow them. I just don’t inspect fireplaces or their chimneys, and unless you have been trained to do a Level II, I suggest you don’t either.
[/quote]

Worth repeating

The flue needs to be clean before it can be properly inspected and I’m not qualified to clean or inspect it.

Cheers