Cracked Heat Exchanger

Originally Posted By: twheeler
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

In response to Don,

In the legend of the report, it states that if any item is marked “poor”, or “fair”, should be evaluated further by a licensed professional.

Further to that, in Ontario, there is a ongoing debate with the govenrning body of HVAC “TSSA”, Technical Safety and Standards Associations", as to weather a home inspector should even be permitted to remove the cover of the furnace.

They claim that we should have a G-3 license, to do so. A G-3 license is the first stage in receiving you gas fitters license, the cost is $1400.00, it takes 3 months to complete, every Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday, between 5-10, and every Saturday from 9-5.

And the course starts in april. Also, you have to be sponsered by a licensed gas fitter that operates his own company.

I think this can create quite a delima, as if I were to commit to this, I would lose revenue largly.

Originally Posted By: rbennett

Tyrone

Congrats and thanks for the updates -- Talk about a win - win deal.

I am going to review and TIGHTEN UP some of my wording in this area.

I would also thank the real-estate person -- A cold and unhappy Joe home owner can make for a bad day

rlb

Originally Posted By: dedwards

just to reiterate the need to call in a professional. It can make all the difference when it comes to covering your “6”

Originally Posted By: dbowers

I sure hope that from your comment that you’re not saying you don’t even take the furnace covers off to look inside - because if thats what your saying, this will happen again.

Originally Posted By: clawrenson

Good to hear about your win-win. There is certainly lots of good advice offered here, and it all makes us a bit better by gaining such knowledge.

Tyrone, I would suggest that opening a normal service access panel cover, that most any person or homeowner could remove, is probably the standard applied by most home inspectors. I am not suggesting removing or dismantling, or testing anything beyond that.

Although you comments about TSSA has some bearing, it depends on what the inspector is doing and how they are reporting. My take dealing with inspectors and ethics and technical review tasks - seems to point that they are more ticked with inspectors trying to go above and beyond the SOP, and more in particular leaving the importance of their experts out of the loop. Some unfortunate past history and blundering in reporting has made them become more proactive in protecting their turf.

Likewise home inspectors also need to realize their own limitations also, and not pretend they are self-proclaimed heating experts - unless they are licensed or qualified to do so. Also some of the fancy electronic inspection gadgets also offer false readings from time to time and reporting of inaccurate statements or conclusive evidence about heating systems and their installations.

Originally Posted By: phinsperger

Quote:
Guaranteed Residential Inspections Inc.(GRI) is devoted to bringing you the best home inspection available. With over 15 years in the residential industry, including; Home Renovations, New Home Building, Insurance Inspections, Wood Appliance Inspections (w.e.t.t.Certified) and many more training processes. Also GRI comes equipped with the most up to date, and efficient testing equipment on the market that will ensure that even things that are hidden from view, can be inspected, e.g. carbon monoxide, combustion gas leaks, moisture, and much more. After checking all the elements, the inspector will produce for you an inspection report. This report will point out all the present or potential problems, and give an approximate cost to fix the defects

Originally Posted By: dedwards

icon_eek.gif

I do inspect things that are hidden from view.

Thats why I included in my website the fact that I check for combustion gas leaks, carbon monoxide, moisture and so on. What has that got to do with the topic in hand, not to mention, in my report, I mention that heat exchangers are beyond the scope.

But if you feel its worded incorrectly, I’m open to options. The last thing I need, is misleading information.

Originally Posted By: away

Tyrone,

I think that website verbiage could use some re-phrasing. It makes it sound like you do more than just a visual inspection.

From one of your earlier posts you stated:
"I do have a disclaimer for heat exchangers in my inspection agreement. I also noted in the report that the furnace inspection is limited to a visual inspection only, and that we offer no guarantee or warranty of any kind."

The wording from your website appears contradictory to the above disclaimer.

I know what your are trying to communicate with both statements, but don't have any modifications off the top of my head.

--
Andrew Way
Keystone Residential Inspection Services PLLC
www.keystoneinspections.com

I appreciate the constructive criticism.

I have contacted my webmaster and he taking care of it ASAP.

Thank you for your help.

Originally Posted By: wwarner

Quote:
Also GRI comes equipped with the most up to date, and efficient testing equipment on the market that will ensure that even things that are hidden from view, can be inspected, e.g. carbon monoxide, combustion gas leaks, moisture, and much more.

How about...

Also GRI comes equipped with the most up to date, and efficient testing equipment on the market that will help inspect for invisible dangers such as carbon monoxide, combustion gas leaks, and moisture issues.

...or simply stating that you own and use hi tech testing equipment such as CO detector, combustible gas leak tester, and moisture meter.

Thats sounds great, Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Gary Reecher

Just curious as to what your carbon monoxide testing entails?

Having been certified by National Comfort Institute 2 -1/2 course we are taught to perform not only an ambient measurement of the home but the undiluted flue gases and draft as well.