Cracking FAUX STONE

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk164/cab1961/3.jpg

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk164/cab1961/2-1.jpg

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk164/cab1961/1.jpg

Carl,

Are you sure that isn’t a faux crack to make it look real? :wink:

It might be an expansion joint.

I posted them over HERE but not much chatter yet.

Lemmee guess, that cracking is right below that piss-poor excuse for a kickout flashing. right?

Wanna bet that the corner cracked due to swelling of the substrate :shock:

Regards

Gerry

What kickout flashing?

well come on Carl at least they lobbed a bit of tin in there, it’s not like they weren’t trying

Regards

Gerry

Trying to do what?

Those are baby tins and around here that is all they use.

There is no way for a cladding installer to get the proper clearance from the roof no matter what the cladding.

I guess they’ve never heard of Dryflekt up there, mind you I doubt that the stone had proper clearance above the roof counter flashing anyway

Gerry

O they have heard of Dryflekt I made sure of that my self.

DRY what??? Just kidding.

“Typical cracks noted in the decorative stone. Keep these well sealed at all times and monitor in the future to prevent moisture penetration and deterioration, etc. Unless the wall cavity is opened up, there is no way for the inspector to know if there are problems – such as trapped water, wood rot, mold etc. – inside the cavity. Also, there is no good way for us to know what part(s) of the cavity(s) should be opened up for further evaluation. There could be an important problem - - or there may be no problem at all. There is no economical and easy means for the Kansas home inspector to be sure one way or the other in a visual, non-destructive home inspection”.

“However, in Kansas since we now have mandatory E&O insurance and at least $10,000 worth of liability for unfound defects on each inspection, the inspector recommends having a licensed geo-technical engineer with stone masonry experience RIP the stuff off and look for defects - PRIOR to leaving the inspection contingency period”.

GOSH - this is gonna feel really good next year when the new Kansas law goes into effect. Watching the face of the commissioned RE Agent who has not had a sale in 2 months after I show them the stone and then make my profound comments AS ABOVE to keep myself financially solvent.

Ouch!! We have a Licensing and Gen Liability requirement and I thought that sucked…:roll:

This link here might be found useful for this subject on faux stone, other than explaining why the crack.

Marcel :):smiley:

you guys know this but worth repeating for those that don’t…faux stone will only perform as well as the substrate it’s adhered to…if the underlayment is moving or cracked this will telegraph though the stone veneer and appear on the surface…when applied at or across dissimilar material intersections and solidly attached to both systems expect cracking to occur, that outside edge/stucco abutment requires no more than a backer rod w/high grade low modulus caulk seal… and was probably not treated with the respect she deserved

Here guys the same co. does both the stone and stucco. They lath the wall and where the stone goes the just scratch the very thin base cote that they have applied for the very thin one cote stucco that gets painted. With a very thin cote of paint.

the rule of “less is more”

the less they do the more it fails

It all sounds a bit thin,

The less jobs they do the more the public is better off.

There is no room in the industry for caring tradesmen anymore.

That will stand their ground any and that need for things to be done differently.

Even more different then the material mfgrs. and ASTM, let alone the BLIND UNKNOWING eye of codes enforcement.

The HBA is a member driven org. they are all for the builders making all the money they can using untrained help and claiming in court they thought they were hiring the top of the line subs for the bottom of the barrel prices.

Yet the Home Inspector gets hit with the claims when they miss something that they have no way of knowing what is going on under the cladding.

That is the skinny of it Jim.