Crawl space venting?

It’s funny, I was just having a conversation with one of the chief entomologist about just that, during some recent recertification training to maintain my licensing here in Ga.
He said that the subterranean termite was more active than we might think, given the conditions north of the border. Still nothing like us here, but migration and adaptability to your conditions has been amazing to him. He said he never thought that would be a concern…ever. Just goes to show that nowhere is safe from Gods little recyclers.

Mario:

From the preface of the 2005 NBC (from which your OBC was probably developed) page ix:

DIVISION B: ACCEPTABLE SOLUTIONS

The term “requirements”, which was used to describe the technical provisions contained in the 1995 NBC, has been replaced with the term “acceptable solutions” in the 2005 NBC. The change in terminology reflects the principle that building codes establish an acceptable level of risk and underlines the fact a code cannot describe all possible valid design and construction options.

The codes have always had a statement to allow for innovation and changes in building practices or else we’d still be building using pre-1941 (the year of the first NBC) techniques!! Talk to the codes people and present them with research they cannot dispute. I’ve helped 1 contractor and 1 owner/builder in the last 10-12 years get “supposed poor practice” through the inspection process.

They are now finding that with people in the City buying a cottage some tend to take there old Picknick tables and other wood from the city to the cottage and some are taking termites with this equipment.
They have also found that with no queen these termites can turn a worker into a queen and so new colonies are springing up in other places.
… Cookie.

the code under in the IRC for the venting. R 408.1 and R-408.2

IRC 2006 CODE # R-408.1 and also R408-2

hey guys it’s under IRC 2006 section R408.1 and R-408.2 just incase someone needs the section

You’re on target Cookie with transfering/moving WDO’s with packing, furniture, etc., but I’ve never heard of termites moving without moisture immediately available.
Subterranean Termites moving from say Ga. to ON. would be almost impossible due to moisture availablility. They start to dehydrate/die within 1-2hrs.+/-. Now, woodborers, powderpost beetles nesting in older wood, antique furniture, picture frames, imported wood products, etc. are possible.
But your environmental conditions have got to be tough on ground dwelling WDO’s, like S/T.
The old saying around here is “If you live in Ga. your home has had termites, has termites, or will have termites at some time”.
How often have you actually seen activity or heard of activity in your area?

I believe they came in Packing material from another continent to Ontario .
(“Humans help termites move great distances when they move infested railroad ties, utility poles, lumber, landscaping timbers, potted plants, shipping crates, pallets, mobile homes, paper and other cellulose products,” Ring cautions. "Since Formosan subterranean termites commonly build carton nests in the cellulose materials, they can be moved long distances by humans without being noticed )

(The following cities and towns in southern Ontario have experienced termite infestations; Amherstburg, Brampton, Dresden, Elmira, Elora, Fergus, Guelph, Hamilton, Innisfil, Kitchener, Kincardine, Leamington, Markham, Mississauga, Pickering, Oakville, Oshawa, Toronto and Windsor.
Click here for a link to a distibution map. )
Interesting how many canadians have no Idea they are a concern here too.
… Cookie

It is very humid in my part of Texas and almost NO crawl spaces are
prepared for proper machanical conditioning. Therefore almost ALL
crawl spaces have excessive moisture in the wood, even the ones with
open sides!!!

So I state that I have found excessive moisture in the foundation wood,
and recommend keeping proper ventilation and adding a plastic
moisture barrier on the soil under the house.

The better solution would be to conditon the crawl space and
remove the humidity… but no one down here really wants to
go through all the expense to do all that.

Cookie

Had no idea the exposure/activity was as active as it appears to be. Have y’all had any confirmed activity of Formosans. Transported Formosans would probably have a better chance than ST of surviving the move.
Down here in Metro Atlanta, as well as Mid/No. Georgia area, the Dept. of Ag. has only acknowledged about a dozen infestations of Formosans. We likely have much more. Coastal Ga. an the obvious Coastal states have rampant activity. The French Quarter was destroyed by Formosans way before Katrina hit the area.
Interesting Info.from north of the border…Thanks

John

I agree, problem here is that the Builders think 12 month warranties. The problems with ST and other WDO problems including fungus, molds, etc are usually monitored, confirmed and or corrected by other contractors, and enforcement of corrections by Dept. of Agriculture and not the State/Local AHJ.
Also ventilation is not high on the energy/efficency design scale of local Builders.
I/We have a problem with the encapsulation process/methods of crawls, basements, attics, and the Pest Control Inspector being able to penetrate the finish to inspect for activity behind the encapsulation. The industries are working on ways, but nothing difinitive yet.

The Canadian West Coast has always had termites. Good thing, because there’s a lot of deadwood out in the bush and that is generally where they hang out, eating up stumps and old deadfalls. They sprout wings in the spring and go flying around. Sounds like Ontario’s winters are warmer than they used to be.

Wood decay fungus would eventually do the same …and it doesn’t have those wings. Termites- Something that I eventually expect to hear about in the Maritimes.

Brian

You are correct our OBC is modeled from the NBC. You are also correct about challenging the code. However I have yet to see new construction of a house with a crawlspace.

CRAWL SPACE VENTING

Very nice website David!!!

I agree Mario;

Marcel :slight_smile: :smiley:

They built a whole subdivision with 4 feet 10 inches they did not want any one building bed rooms in basement It was a retirement village .
2 bed rooms only ,two car garage sold like wow! big money for 1,600 ~ sq feet.
… COOKIE

Roy are you talking about the adult community by the lake(near Port Hope)?

No that one is all condo’s I think .
This is Brighton By the Bay.
Very nice subdivision .
… Cookie