Creative framing

Originally Posted By: jhorton
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Inspecting a home built in the 20’s or 30’s today. Very nice and well maintained home overall. I was very impressed with it. I was finishing up and went into the a separate crawl space for a small room addition.

Here is some of what I found.

![](upload://lDYobwfthb2IDBP7KvDwcnFQVWn.jpeg)
Note the beam on the left isn't long enough so they just scabbed on length of joist.

The beam is right is not two joists but a 6x10? beam.

On this one the beam was too tall so they just notched the end. It must have been a 3 x 14 or close.

The joist looks like it was 50 years old when they installed it.

I think every joist under this room was a different size. From the interior however there wasn't a clue. Everything looked good. You just never know what your going to find!

My favorite part. The classic scissors jack support post.

--
Jeff <*\\><
The man who tells the truth doesn't have to remember what he said.

Originally Posted By: gbell

Great Pictures Jeff.

Greg Bell

Bell Inspection Service

Originally Posted By: Brian A. Goodman

Let me help you with that report language Jeff, you don’t want to alarm anyone over these minor issues.

"Since one of virtually every imaginable size of floor joist was used, I'm sure at least one of them is the correct size."

"The sissor jack appears to be properly sized and in serviceable condition, with only minor surface rust. I suggest monitoring it (if you feel like it)."

How'zat? ![icon_mrgreen.gif](upload://tbe1CncrrOs48cXpHvziOT8r0T3.gif)

Originally Posted By: jhorton

eusa_clap.gif eusa_clap.gif eusa_clap.gif eusa_clap.gif eusa_clap.gif eusa_clap.gif

GOOD answer!!

--
Jeff <*\\><
The man who tells the truth doesn't have to remember what he said.