Creative Handrail

I call for a handrail with three or more risers, and make sure that the treads have at least the minimum tread distance and that risers don’t differ by more than 3/8". However, I tend to say something like “common safety standards,” which gets me out of the muck and mire of “codes.” Having said that, my program stores “code” references with the the appropriate narratives, in case I’m forced to defend my calls. PVC. Wow, but I’ve seen sillier things.

Thanks for the replies.

This was a 1956 house. It was the grandmother house and now the grandson is buying it from the father.

My main point was if it is there - then it should be correct. Not whether or not it is required by code, as I have no clue what the code was in 1956 nor how more modern codes may be grandfathered or applied. As it was installed a person would grab it expecting to be supported in a fall and it would not help, in fact it might break and cause more injury.

The step was high enough that I would have probably recommended some sort of rail for safety as an improvement even if there was not one present.

That seems to be the proper call on this.
Code or no code, that system could give someone a false sense of security and fail. I doubt PVC can withstand a 200lb point load which is called for in stair rail systems.

This is a case where no handrail is better than a handrail. In my view, if they remove it, that would remedy the issue.

I would agree, Joe, that removal would be an improvement.

This was a good type of inspection because my client is buying the house from the fanily regardless. The family is going to make repairs as needed - it needed a new water heater (after all the dangerous gas problems are fixed, had a badly aligned vent and a gas leak), probably needs a new furnace/ac or at least a thorough tune up/cleaning, lots of electrical work that from the service line on down. My client wanted to know the things, anythings that may be wrong or could be improved. I feel this is a subtle but necessary one. I simply stated in the report that if a railing was present, it needed to be a proper railing and what a proper railing was. They can decide where to go from there.

It needs a shut-off valve.

I agree with that … I think it’s more of a safety concern leaving it as it “appears” very flimsy.

Even though current construction standards (using the 2003 IRC as a guide) would only require railings for more than 3 risers (and a guard for platforms/decks assuming about 7-1/2" to 8" risers), I would generally write up a stair and platform/deck with 3 full risers without a handrail and guard as a safety concern. That was a pretty common requirement for pre-ICC code construction in most areas.

However, the risers don’t appear very high, so I don’t think this would be a case where I would write up a lack of a handrail as a safety concern.

JMO & 2-nickels … :wink: