Cutouts in a cabinet

Do you still find these in use?

I am in need of images related to ths type of installation and would appreciate seeing them.

Joe

Wasn’t there a lot of that type of pictures on the forum that you and Dave had a few years back.

Do you hear from Dave much any more?
I haven’t heard anything about him for three or four years.

Joe for those that don’t see much fused work please explain what’s in your photo.

Here is a 1917 Dallas, TX. residential panel

Yes, that’s right, I will have to search my files. He is running seminars in Ohio and doing quite well, I encouraged him and he done good now.

The porcelain cutout is supplied by the feeder conductors that are installed into a cabinet behind a hinged door then they are stripped to be secured under the clamps, so that the Edison Base fuses can be used to protect the branch circuits.

I noticed that one of the terminations under a screw was doubled up and I think it was a neutral and looks like zip cord?

I do have more of these types of images if people are interested and can post them here if encourged to do so.

http://www.nachi.org/forum/attachmen…7&d=1200561983

Joe: How do you put a cutout in a cabinet? The only time I have heard of a cutout, it is in relation to a cutout box. The picture you post appears to be fuses in either a cabinet (probably) or a cutout box (doubtfully.

Cabinet. An enclosure that is designed for either surface mounting or flush mounting and is provided with a frame, mat, or trim in which a swinging door or doors are or can be hung.

Panelboards are electrical assemblies designed to be placed in a cabinet or cutout box. (See the definitions of cutout box and panelboard.)

Cutout Box. An enclosure designed for surface mounting that has swinging doors or covers secured directly to and telescoping with the walls of the box proper.

Thanks Joe! I don’t get the chance to see some of the really old stuff like you do. I appreciate it.

Ryan:

Still a lot of it around Boston, especially in Cambridge, MA. I have a few old catalogs and that’s where I found the picture. I also remember seeing these cutouts in the Northeastern University Garage, I took a picture of the same and they are still being used.

We also still have wooden molding and Knob and Tube being used in Boston, why the building where Bob Vila has his office is wired with open wires for the FA and some branch circuits are in wooden molding.

My library is for sale!

Is this old enough?

And to think… this was live.