Damp proofing?

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you,

Wondering if this is called damp proofing, or something else? Should it not be re-secured where it is warped?

Thank you in advance.



I think it is called something else but.:):wink:

Don’t look like it is doing much good of anything.

It is hard to tell what I am looking at but I agree with Marcel in that it doesn’t appear to be doing much good.

Do you have a wider back picture?

Larry, look at the first pic again.

Is it possible that it is just a protective membrane? It appears to be black behind it that would almost indicate a bituminous asphalt base proofing. :slight_smile:

Yes, it could be.

Sorry I can’t be more definitive but it is tough to see all the way to NC. :mrgreen:

Know what you mean, having the same problem. Wonder if it leaks?

Yes, there was the black bituminous damp proofing around the entire structure at grade level. Just curious as to what the outer warped pieces are called.

It is a fiber board used to help protect the damp proofing (or as it was called back then water proofing) when the foundation is backed filed. We used this on basement foundations back in the 80’s through early 90’s.


Gary, should I recommend this be re-secured where it is warped?

Since the fabric is no longer needed for protection, but is hiding the black dampproofing, I would just recommend that it be repaired as required. :slight_smile:

Exactly…repaired as required to maintain needed waterproofing integrity.