Damsel in Distress

My Contractor told me the water seepage/damage to my interior exposed brick walls is due to my neighbor not having end-caps (100yr old attached brick row-houses) NJ
Basically, the paint bubbles, flakes off and has some mildew and bricks are getting soft. On one occassion, during a heavy rain, some water was streaming down wall.The house next door has been un-inhabited and in disrepair for 5/6 yrs and owned by an LLC. No info in tax records for contacting. I’m afraid it’s more than endcaps. It could be roof/gutters/flashing are falling apart. He also has ancient tar paper like tiles falling off a non-brick extension onto my deck. Do I call City Hall ? Can they make him fix his/my damage? Who pays? I don’t want to involve my ins. co. in it. THANKS in advance.

I would examine my deed and get a copy of the registered deed for the adjoining property, to check for any party wall agreements or other such clauses. The city building inspector would be a good contact if your own property is in good repair. Otherwise, the building inspector might come up with some expensive repairs for you to do. Beyond that, I think you would have to involve an attorney specializing in real estate.

Jim King

Call your insurance company.

They can fix the damage regardless of who is at ‘fault’, track down the owners and make them pay.

Your insurer will also engage the services of an attorney on your behalf and at no cost to you should one be required. It’s what you pay them for.

City Hall will likely not want to get involved with what amounts to be a civil problem between neighbors.

Good suggestion, Homebild.

Jim King

Great suggestion, but I would also be in contact with your municipality; most of them have minimum standards for building maintenance and upkeep.