Data Storage... What do you use and why?

Have you not been paying attention? :wink:

3 Likes

cloud

2 Likes

No, I use a SSD removable drive.

1 Like

I can’t use the cloud either for storage as my rural upload speed is so poor.

2 Likes

Create a picture section in your reporting software template. Put all your pics from the inspection in that and hide the section before you publish it to your client. It is all then stored on the cloud of whoever you use to report and you can access it if needed in the future.

1 Like

What are your download and upload speeds, Ryan?

This is the fastest package my provider can offer me…

I feel your pain. I have to drive to a cell tower and sit under it to upload anything!

1 Like

Wow, That’s awful. Have you checked about Starlink?

Is that actually available yet?

My connection is slow but it is ultra-reliable, which is very important to me because I use a web-based report writer. I have one other option for internet which is radio-signal based. I was in talks with them about their service and brought up the numerous complaints on the internet about their reliability, telling them that reliability was as important to me as speed. They ghosted me and stopped returning my emails, lol. That told me everything I needed to know!

1 Like

Like you, I had awful internet, around the same speeds. Went with Starlink and it’s been great for rural use.

2 Likes

That’s interesting. I just entered my address on their website. It said mid to late 2021 availability at my address, but no confirmation if it is already here. It says to send them a deposit and they’ll let me know when ready. May have to look into this further.
Is it unlimited internet for $99/mo?
Any outages during heavy clouds/storms?

1 Like

My uploads suck

2 Likes

Ours is $148 cad/unlimited. It’s been really good. We just got it a few months ago. No problems in storms yet. Heavy clouds here today, raining.

1 Like

Easy to set up out of the box. No techs required. :slightly_smiling_face:

We have average 8 to 10 devices connected, no problems.

1 Like

Not available for my area till sometime in 2022.

2 Likes

Can you get your name on the list? They go in that order.

Thanks for the tip Junior.

1 Like

You’re welcome. :slightly_smiling_face:

Back to the OP’s original post—as an old portrait photographer, I never trusted the cloud to archive my photographs. My primary storage was my hard drive, flash drive or DVD. I always wanted the hard copy of the high res original in easy reach just in case.

1 Like