Decay/organic growth?

Hello all,

It’s been a little while. I had this on an inspection yesterday and am curious what everyone thinks. The “staining” or “growth” was only on this board and had not spread to any of the surrounding boards.

There’s a reason for that.

What is it and why didn’t it spread

Because it looks to me like it’s just wood.

1 Like

With that discoloration and small black dots everywhere? Huh

1 Like

Ahhh, thanks. That link was very helpful

1 Like

Ryan, I hope you did not come running out of the house yelling MOLDDDDDDDDD scaring everyone in the process :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ryan next time you see this try and rub it off. Mold comes off of smooth surfaces quite easily.

1 Like

I did not, I told them that I did not think it was. :wink:

I did try and rub it off and it almost felt like dirt but it was still ingrained into the wood.

1 Like

Well there you go.

1 Like

When the tree was still standing water and air leached in around a damaged limb starting the decay process it was like that before the tree was milled.

1 Like

Likely label/grade inking smeers during manufacturing.
Just my 2 cents.

The wood sure looks like Douglas Fir, and the board was obviously milled at the surface of the log, hence the large knot. The log probably sat at the bottom of the stack at the lumber mill in the mud for a while, causing the discoloration. It happens. Unless the wood is soft and falling apart, it’s fine. Any decay that started at the mill would have been stopped when the board was dried in the kiln.

If moisture is reintroduced the decay will continue. At a faster rate than normal.