Deck beam joint location

Chance you always take. It’s called a “disclaimer” and the word “possible” is always used.

1 Like

Or, one 4x8x16 solid cement block.

1 Like

Exactly, you know how I do it? I don’t. If the footings are covered up and those posts are doing their job I move along. I will probe the base where I see wood to ground contact for deterioration. The fact is, I am not able to evaluate those footings anymore than I am able to evaluate buried foundation footings.

5 Likes

Looks like it has been out there a while. Was there any deflection observed in that 4-ply beam after all that time? My guess is that they built it that big to span the width over that entrance without having to support it in the middle. Looks like a calculation that should be determined by an engineer to know if it was truly done correctly.

Yes, the beam was sagging significantly in the middle of that span.

The AHJ should make them put the needed support here: :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Larry, wouldn’t this be better?

2 Likes

I wasn’t making trying to make it better. It was an attempt at a joke.

3 Likes

I almost forgot cross and lateral bracing, but I got it in there.

2 Likes

:joy: :joy: :joy:

I wonder how long that door has been there? Possibly was a post at one time but it was removed? Any signs there being a post or posts being removed? (Just seems possible with the foundation damproofing level… )

There were no obvious signs of a previous post being present looking up at the beam and the pavers extended a few feet past the end of the deck.

1 Like

OK… Worth investigating. People do some silly stuff!