Deck Post Splits- new construction

Is there a way to determine (formula of sorts) whether or not the size, number, depth and width of splits in 4x6 deck posts are “acceptable”?

Having a new deck installed and all the 4x6 have MANY, LONG (some as long as 4 ft, many over 2 ft), DEEP (most are over 1" deep, some less, some more), & wide splits/checks in them already. I am quite aware that “wood is wood” and is expected to check as it dries out, but this is really excessive compared to what I have observed elsewhere, especially on new construction.

PLUS- the railing system is going to be glass panels, attached via a rabbet joint routed into the posts. Where the posts have been routed out to for the channel, the splits run right along side the channel and or directly into the channel… leaving only 1/4 inch or less of wood holding the glass insert…

Contractor keeps telling me this is OK and will not fail. I have severe doubts and keep pointing out failure points already showing. We live in an area with very large temperature fluctuations throughout the year- and also from day to day AND with lots of very strong gusty winds (roofing often blows off around here) through the winter.

Any help or referrals to other agencies would be GREATLY appreciated.

Because we are not there and have not seen the problem it is hard to assertain. Did your contractor get a permit to build the deck? He should have. Be there when the inspector comes out and point out the inperfections to him. He should be able to tell you.

Yes- got a permit.-- Would it help if I post a pic or 2?

I see this a lot on new construction, and it is usually a sign that the builder/deck contractor is using a cheap grade of lumber to increase profits. With the glass panel system, you want quality! If you aren’t paying for it, you need to!

Contractor is adamant it is #1 grade lumber.
How can I verify?

Wood defects, such as checks and knots can have a detrimental effect on the load carrying capacity of the beam or post. However it depends on the orientation of the load and the location and type of defect. For example a large knot in a 6x6 column under compression may be insignificant, but lay the 6x6 on its side, used as a beam, and the large knot could cause a significant reduction in the bending capacity. Unlike steel wood properties change with the orientation of the load in relation to the grain of the wood.

Thanks Randy-
Is there any formula to calculate failure in my case? Is there a resource you can refer me to?
All posts are 4x6.
All splits/checks run vertically under compression load.