Deck supports only on blocks

Sorry, I got you confused with the original post.

IMO, it is an inadequate and improper repair and I would call it out all day long. If the local inspector approves it, then that is now on them.

1 Like

Yep. Problem is that contractors know what will squeeze past. Are there better ways to repair that, of course. However, properly attached and providing the minimal required bearing is what is typically done.

Greg, as I have learned, you can ask a simple question here, and you will never get a “simple” answer. Everyone has one and sometimes are one, if you know what i mean… :wink:

1 Like

I hear you.

Look at the Simpson link below. You will notice that the type of fastener shown in the OP’s picture is not approved.

1 Like

I would consider bearing to be upon the “load bearing” post, not a side nailer.

I am curious what this material is? Why the dimples. Someone help me out please.

I found my own answer. If anyone is interested.

1 Like

All the info I need is in the picture actually. That head type is not the head type of any approved fastener by the joist hanger manufacturers.

2 Likes

Sorry @gneff I’m not trying to jump on ya here. I guess I just get a little excited about improper deck construction, lol.

1 Like

This is a great example of where knowledge of shear governing versus moment governing is priceless, and how a table from a code book or product brochure never tells you the full story. I am so glad I paid attention to this in college.

I wouldn’t let that fly in a million years.

2 Likes

It appears there is only 3 screws in that board attaching it to the post. The screws may shear off with significant loading. Have a party on that deck and I think it could end up a sad day.

2 Likes

That is interesting.

So, on a hanger. I suspect fastener labeled S is for shear and M for movement?

And here, we have nails for shear but no movement help?

Interesting that nobody has asked the more obvious question…

What the hell is loaded on that deck that needs that large of beams for such a narrow joist span???

2 Likes

This is some stupid shit. concentrating the floor and potentially roof load on a nailer block with 3 structural screws slightly offset is not a smart move. The block is likely to split straight down the middle vertically connecting through the 3 screws under the right amount of load. The grain of the wood needs to be taken into consideration.

This is the same reason why splitting a piece of a wood log vertically by separating the wood grain is a lot easier than trying to chop through the wood grain. Sometimes common sense is needed.

2 Likes

Well said.

1 Like

The fasteners are definitely wrong in the hangers there’s no doubt in my mind. As they are common deck screws or wood screws.

Thank you all for confirming for me what i thought.

1 Like

behind the beam on the right is another set of joists that are longer. behind the beam on the left is nothing but air.

I see that, but what the hell kind of deck needs a 6" x 18" Glulam beam???

2 Likes

The anchors on the block are the wrong anchors and want is behind the 1xs is there solid wood.