Deck top step has a short rise,

This is going to be a two parter.
Part 1) The rise on the deck steps is 6 1/2" and the top step is 4 5/8". I know that this is a trip hazard. Rise has to be within 3/8" of each other. The question is can the bottom step be the short one? Or do they all need to be adjusted?
Part 2) The rise to the pool deck is 11". That needs to be changed to a two step of 5 1/2" each?

I would recommend just reporting what you see and referring it out to a qualified carpenter and let them decide how and if they will fix it.

They are defects. I call them trip hazards.

8 Likes

They all need to be adjusted. There’s no difference between a short step at the bottom or the top - they’re both trip hazards. Looks like home handyman work.

1 Like

Part 3:

4 Likes

A lot of handy work. And nice work. Just not correct work. :slight_smile:

The steps need proper landing. They should also not vary in rise because as you take the first step your brain remembers the height and tries to take the same exact step the next rise – if the steps vary you may trip. Lastly, the rise can be short, just not too tall.

2 Likes

I believe the shortest rise required is 4"…both IBC and IRC

And, it definitely needs a landing of 36" min., I believe.

2 Likes

IBC yes, not IRC unless it’s something local.

1 Like

Part 4:

10 Likes

:blush: That I have noted.
TY

1 Like

That’s a double tripper. You fall going down the steps and up the steps!

3 Likes

Those railings look unsafe, Brian. :grinning:

11 Likes

Baluster spacing exceeds 4 inches!

5 Likes

Good catch. Non-uniform stair risers. Also, no handrail at stair and no landing at bottom of stair.

That was the trifecta. And the 11 inch step to the upper deck to place.

1 Like

Oh, And the treads don’t have the minimum 3/4’’ nosing. :grinning:

1 Like

To avoid the 11",they would have had to raise the lower deck to the bottom of the door. Just poor planning.

2 Likes

I do not know what the problem is, I have been doing it this way for years and no one has ever complained. Dang home inspectors!

2 Likes

They made a mess of it. Report and move on.

1 Like

Lol…Lol…