Defect found behind a junction box cover

Originally Posted By: jtedesco
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Defect found behind a junction box cover!

If it looks suspect, do you remove the cover?

If not there could be a fire waiting to happen here. ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif)

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

Originally Posted By: thejnicki

If it looks suspect, I do remove the cover.

Originally Posted By: jwortham

And what if the cover was unremarkable? Would you remove it then?

Joe likes to toss up things that a professional electrician might find. Of course, we are home inspectors who get 3 hours to check an entire house.

I'd love to be able to check every junction box for my clients. However, my inspections would take about 3 days and cost about $2500.

On second thought, THAT sounds like a winner! Anyone know how I can market those kind of inspections? ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif)

Originally Posted By: jbushart

Be careful how you respond to his posts. Tedesco is copying these responses to his questions and using them on an electrician forum to disparage home inspectors. Names and all.

http://electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000473.html

--
Home Inspection Services of Missouri
www.missourihomeinspection.com

"We're NACHI. Get over it."

www.monachi.org

Originally Posted By: cmccann

Hey Joe…I guess we got issues now!!! …LOL. Cone head turn coat!

NACHI MAB!

Originally Posted By: jbushart

I think we should start looking for the defect moderating this forum. icon_wink.gif

Home Inspection Services of Missouri

www.missourihomeinspection.com

"We're NACHI. Get over it."

www.monachi.org

Originally Posted By: whandley

If it looks suspect, report that it looks suspect. If you touch the junction box, you’ve bought it! If you find a roof flashing that looks suspect, would you remove a course of tile to inspect further? I don’t think so! If you start disassembling components and or systems, make sure to increase you General Liability and Errors and Omissions Insurance coverage, your going to need it. icon_idea.gif

Originally Posted By: rcooke

jbushart wrote:
Be careful how you respond to his posts. Tedesco is copying these responses to his questions and using them on an electrician forum to disparage home inspectors. Names and all.

James I do not know how you get the info you do but thanks for the site .
As many know I am a retired Sparky and I am surprised how many HIs do things I think they should not do .
It looks to me that sooner or later we are going to hear the story about the HIs
in court for doing things he has no business doing .

--
Roy Cooke Sr.

http://Royshomeinspection.com

Originally Posted By: jtedesco

rcooke wrote:
jbushart wrote:

James I do not know how you get the info you do but thanks for the site .
As many know I am a retired Sparky and I am surprised how many HIs do things I think they should not do .
It looks to me that sooner or later we are going to hear the story about the HIs
in court for doing things he has no business doing .

Exactly! Stay away from the panelboard if you don't have any formal training!

Sorry if my post created a problem for you, but if anyone who is making an electrical inspection has to ask a question like this, and look for answers on a public board, they should stop offering that service!

There are many images from some who ask a question about an electrical installation, and expect an answer about the electrical defects so they can complete their report.

Many reply, and with some good information, and that too puts some questions in the threads.

If the public, and especially the homeowner sees the question from their HI how does that look for NACHI?

It seems that only the few who have time on their hands continue to post their replies too messages that I post, and that's OK, however they too may have something to hide as well.

My questions on the NEC board give some HI's heartburn because they may not have known about the requirement in the past.

I thought that was an approach that would be welcomed.

In the meantime, I think that an inexperienced HI who has little or no knowledge should stay away from the electrical systems, especially the panelboard.

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

Joe,

Your response is bogus. Your ridiculing of a home inspector in another forum is just as bogus.

Surely you knew that this would cauise a backlash, and rightfully so.

--
Joe Farsetta

Illigitimi Non Carborundum
"Dont let the bastards grind you down..."