Defect or not?

Do you always find the outer cover closed during an inspection?

The wall covering, or other exposed combustible surfaces between the cover and the box. The condition is not visible in the photo that has been posted. It’s essentially the same as an open junction box.

The gap between the cover and the box can allow sparks to escape into the wall cavity.

OK. Now I get it. Never thought of that to be honest. Thanks for the explanation.

Makes sense.So guess we better remember those open knockouts in the sides eh?
Now somebody tell me they do not see the trip rubbing the dead front at the bottom.

Pope addressed this earlier.

The breaker has an internal trip, and will open whether the handle moves or not.

I don’t know about you, but I always call out missing KO’s in panels and junction boxes.

Here’s an example from today. This is how it looks on the other side of the drywall. This is why the “rule” exists for maximum recess of boxes and such.

20110113.jpg

20110113_13.JPG

Yes I do.
Panel or junction box,both.

They could have possibly fixed that with one of these:

I write this up all the time. The box was mounted improperly and needs to be mounted properly. There are some covers that have tabs on the tops of them that lets the cover rest in place which makes installing the screws much easier. Unless, the box is 3/4 of an inch away! I found one box that was so recessed, someone used 2 inch screws to mount the cover!

And of course, another example where a code reference could avoid a lot of “back and forth”!:mrgreen::mrgreen:

Bob, do you call out aluminum SEC?

There is nothing to “call out” with AL SEC conductors. Stranded AL is not an issue.

The problematic AL was generally 10 AWG or smaller, solid strand, used in residential branch-circuit wiring.

No
But if branch circuits are aluminum I do comment on that.
In Illinois we report all materials used and I often include pictures that are not defects as part of the report.That is simply me documenting feeder conductors as part of the overall report.
You are simply seeing a material comment in the above.
Trying to talk Dom into adding ability to add red frames around defect pictures.

Maybe not allowed in Chicago???

Did you bother to read my response posted above yours Jeff? :slight_smile:

Honestly Bob, no.

I responded when I read Johns post, without realizing there was another page of posts.

So sorry.

OK then.

That’s what I thought when I saw the picture. I was just checking up on you. :wink:

BTW, inspection I did today, the seller is moving to Chicago and asked if I knew anyone who could do her inspection. Do you know anyone?

No Nobody.:slight_smile:

Seriously if you send her over I will give her a nice referral discount so you look good.
Make sure to tell your buyer.

Then you may wish to consider calling it out correctly, as Stranded Aluminum. :wink:

I have a Boiler Plate Narrative you can use for that if you like. :stuck_out_tongue:

Never knew stranded was a material like **ALUMINUM **.
Why do I feel like the old man talking to Chumley in "American Pawn Stars "

By the way you forgot to mention it is a plastic coated conductor.FAIL. boom boom boom boom…:slight_smile: