"Defect Recognition & Report Writing" online course

It is 30 inches total width or the width of the equipment, not 30 to each side. Your height requirement is also incorrect.

Research & Writing Assignment:

In the article Easy Steps That Help Home Inspectors Avoid Lawsuits 21 steps are listed to help avoid legal problems. In reviewing these steps, I have found several things that I need to do: change my business to an LLC, purchase Caution stop signs, get E&O Insurance, and seriously consider using InterNACHI’s Pre-Inspection Agreement. These steps are definitely high on my list of priorities. And the other steps will seriously be considered prior to opening for business.

Inspection & Writing Assignment:

On the backside of house the stair handrail is not graspable. The handrail is of 2x4 construction. Handrails should be graspable, continuous and smooth. Also, the stair handrail is lacking sufficient handrail posts. Stair handrails should have posts at least every 5 feet. Recommend evaluation and repair by licensed contractor.

Crawlspaces have many harmful conditions that can affect the house or inspector. Crawlspaces are cool and dark spaces that are common to have mold, pests,and rodents just to name a few. When inspecting crawlspaces make sure the structure is safe and there is adequate ground to floor height. Wear appropriate mask or respirator to protect your health. Finally, have an escape plan for the unknown.

Water stain was observed on ceiling tile in a second floor of office in a commercial building. This was the only ceiling tile on the entire second floor with any sign of water damage/infiltration. The ceiling tiles in the area were moved and the underside of the metal roof decking was observed and no water leakage, damage or signs of standing or pooling water or leaks or wet areas were present. During discussion with office occupant he stated that the stain has been present in his office for several years and he has never seen nor heard of a water or roof leak. Due to the fact that this is unexplained it is recommended to have the roof area checked by a licensed roof contractor for any evidence of this water infiltration.

Elderly Safety Article: It is important to make sure the home is safe fro everyone, from the infant all the way to the elderly. Some of the same principals used to keep a home safe can be employed for protecting the elderly in the home. Often the elderly are prone to imbalance issues so it is important to rid the home of tripping, slipping and fall hazards such as slippery throw rugs, power cords, slippery floors, slippery shower floors etc. It is also important to make sure that they are safe while using stoves, fire places and hot water. Other areas of concern are ensuring stable stairs and railings as well utilizing grab rails in areas such as toilets and showers. There re numerous things that can pose a danger to the elderly and it is best that individuals who provide care and support to the elderly take the time to make sure the home is safe as possible.

When submitting my written report, I ALWAYS use a narrative report. I use a checklist for my actual inspection then I write my written report with the information gathered in the checklist. I try to be as concise as possible. I describe it in detail but in a way the client won’t misinterpret anything.

1 Like

I try to remember while writing my inspection report that a home inspection is the visible condition of the home at the time of the inspection. I try to use past tense when referring to items on the report. Things can drastically change in a short period of time.

Exterior
Smart trim installation.
I observed The smart trim on the west side 2nd floor elevation at 1st floor roof plane.
Minor defects. “Needs finishing” to prevent moisture intrusion and promote longevity.
Because of placement, location,elevation and projection;scaffolding is needed for safe access. I recommend you attain an contractor that deals in exterior finishing to examine ,repair and Finnish The trim system.
Trim left unfinished Will let moisture in . Moisture intrusion over time will cause significant damage to wall-roofing systems.
Prevention is key .Sealing is key.

What I’ve learned.
The word “visible” is an no no to use: liability issues .

As an inspectors, report on what you observed at that specific time . Its like an incident report . WHO WHEN WHERE WHAT WHY and RECOMMENDATIONS

You can give specifications on what we inspect for .The “SOP” is a great example.
Be specific , don’t let the readers of your report squirrel their thoughts.
I observed; WHO. Today;WHEN. In the trim; WHERE. there is an hole; WHAT .This allows moisture intrusion; why . needs to be fixed by competent personal for the prevention of damage; RECOMMENDATIONS.

Just report on facts nothing more.

There is an electrical junction box on the exterior of the house located above and to the left of the back door. The wires are possibly live. This is a serious safety concern as it is a shock and fire hazard. I recommend that a proper cover be installed by a qualified professional as soon as possible.

From reading the article “Electronic Signatures for Home Inspectors” I learned the difference between electronic signatures and digital signatures. An electronic signature can be in almost any form. Emailing a signed copy of a document is one example. However, digital signatures are well defined and regulated. They use a form of encryption and have a digital certificate to back up their validity.

Picture above shows wood rot at the base. Moisture intrusion under the base has rotted the wood. Recommend sealing around the edges of the wood to preserve the wood left and to keep moisture from damaging wood further that what it is now.

When writing up deficiencies in a report keep in mind to use the 5 senses rule. Also keep in mind to use past tense statement that protect you as a inspector from liability. Wording is key to all reports and reduces liability.

During the inspection, I observed the water heater’s temperature pressure relief pipe with threaded ends. This condition is seriously dangerous as an unknowing homeowner can cause highly volatile pressures to build up in the water heater if the TPR valve began to release. Additionally the water heater is missing a catch pan. In the event that there was a water leak, it could cause costly amounts of damage before being discovered. Recommend repair by certified plumber.

The research article i read wast titled “Three Photos Every Inspector Should Include at the End of the Report”. This article was extremely informative, by opening my eyes to using the water meter as a tool to look for leaks in a home. The article also talks about using three pictures to prove to your client that you left no running water after your inspection. Both of those tips are highly valuable in my opinion, and I will be sure to use them in the field.

The main beam is not supported by the masonry built up blocks. This is due to either upward heaving of the foundation or sinking of the masonry block. A licensed structural engineer is recommended to take a further look into this issue.

While attempting to inspect an attic, you notice a broken rung on the pull down ladder, you are not under any obligation to climb on it or over the broken rung. Instead if you have your ladder with you, you can set it up as long as its in a safe manner and then use it to climb to the access point. If you deem the attwched ladder and any other way to access the opening unsafe, then you are not required to investigate further due to safety concerns.

Over narration can also be a problem when writing reports. We have to protect ourselves as inspectors but we cannot cover every possible legal action that can be brought against . I have read some reports that seem that is what the inspector is trying to do . Lets take the garage safety reverse test , if it fails , call it out as that . Its a safety issue it must be repaired as soon as possible,refer repair to a qualified garage door contractor and move on , I dont think we need more than what it is.

The order in which the narrative is written is very important in my opinion . As inspectors we have to cover ourselves against future legal actions that might be brought against us. I was looking at a couple of reports done by other inspectors, and these reports had a couple of paragraphs of disclaimers legal cover yourself jargon before you even got to the defect and its implications.More often than not the lawyer is the only person that going read this jargon . The cover yourself information should be placed after the defect and implications statement , that is what is most important to the client. We dont want the clients eyes glazing over with a couple of paragraphs of legal statements and not understand the actual defect and its implications.It seems that it has gone too far the other way , we seem to want to cover ourselves legally more than what we are really there for, to find defects for the client and call them out.