Define "Major" defect

Originally Posted By: Morgan Audetat
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I have seen a lot of variation on this subject. Since you folks are the most open minded and diverse group I know.

Is major $1000.00 more or less?

Without a number, major is just an adjective.

Webster's Desk Dictionary defines major: "greater in size, extent or amount."

Very faithfully yours,

Morgan Audetat
Badger Home Inspection
Prior Lake, MN

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

Deleted

Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Hope this helps.

Joe Myers

Please instruct me further, though I have been in the trades for some time I am new to HI.

It seem to me that a GFI is a safety issue and could be defined further using the adjectives major or minor.

Further, if I went along with the statement: "Things that lead to major defects" I would be reminded of my then 86 year old grandmother who warned me that kissing leads to other things. e.g. A fart is not a small gas leak (LP or NG). Point is, many minor defects could become major as a kiss could lead to a little bit pregnant. But in the end you either are, or you are not.

I know that many of you belong to other organizations it would be nice to learn more about their definitions.

Perhaps most important to us as a whole is what the prospective home owner understands to be major. Do you define for them in your agreement or report what the true meaning is?

Still confused,

MA

Morgan,

I personally make it into a what is important issue, rather than a major or minor defect.

GFCI protection would be an important consideration for the occupants of the house because of the risk of electrocution, that is very important in my book and I stress that to the client(s). Whether or not it is important to them is entirely another story. If $8 can save a life, it is well worth it in my book.

CO detectors would be another in my book that is important for homes that have combustionable appliances. I think the chance is rare that it will ever be needed but it is a possibility and your concerns should evolve around items that are there for their safety and well being.

Both of these things are major to me. I don't know if they will be that important to the client, so all I can do is stress how a little money can save their life.

You can also have the failed roof which costs several thousands of dollars to replace that is considered a major defect. A failed chimney or flue liner that could cost up to several thousands to correct depending on what route you would take.

As you can plainly see, a major defect does not necessarily mean expensive, just important. If you start thinking on the level of importance you will do much better than with the major or minor mindset.

Hope this helps un-confuse you.

Joe Myers

thanks joe,

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

I point out the absence of GFIs, or if they are defective. If the home was constructed when the presence of GFIs was mandatory, it is a defect. If the home is older, it is not.

I never call it a major. I point it out as a (1) required item, or (2) strongly recommended item. In both cases, I stress the safety issue.

As to a major defect, I categorize that as anything which is major (roof, main panel, deck, heat, etc), or which may affect the person's ability to occupy or finance. This may be a lack of CO, termites, no smoke alarm, or (now required in NY) no CO detector.

Originally Posted By: Brian Maloney

Morgan,

I'm sure your grandmother also taught you not to use KISS and FART in the same sentence... major (grammatical) defect! icon_wink.gif

--
Brian Maloney, NACHI
Valley Forge Chapter

Originally Posted By: mrose

Here is definition I found in some proposed state legislation.

OWNER'S INFORMATION

3-12 1. In this form, 'am aware' means have notice or
3-13 knowledge. In this form, 'defect' means a condition
3-14 that would have a significant adverse effect on the
3-15 value of the property; that would significantly impair
3-16 the health or safety of future occupants of the
3-17 property; or that if not repaired, removed, or replaced
3-18 would significantly shorten or adversely affect the
3-19 expected normal life of the premises.

--
Mike Rose
Cornerstone Home Inspection Co. LLC
Lawrenceville, GA

www.cornerstonehomeinspect.com

Originally Posted By: Richard Stanley

So a hole in a wall, a defect, would mean all those things???

Richard,

I don't see how a hole in the wall could cause any of the above. Do you?

Joe Myers