delamination in attic

Originally Posted By: rkittl
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I just finished a attic inspection, more than enough vent, loose fill fiberglass 9in. no vapor barrier, loose fill packed down to 3in. in a area because they thought they could use the attic as a storage area for about 20 boxes. The plywood is in its first stages of delamination. Have any one run across this problem. I know the insulation is inadequate, would the boxes stop the air movement that much or do you think it is the loose fill? Bob kittl icon_rolleyes.gif

Originally Posted By: afernbaugh

I would look at the attic ventilation first; there may not be adequate ventilation to prevent moisture build-up.

Alan Fernbaugh

Five Star Inspection Services

Baton Rouge, La.

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Quote:
loose fill fiberglass 9in. no vapor barrier

When there is delaminating of plywood taking place in an attic, most of the time it is caused from an ongoing problem with absorption and drying of moisture

The first problem that this house is experiencing is a missing vapor retarder. When there?s no vapor retarder installed under the loose fill insulation, heat will definitely penetrate the attic area. In the winter months, moisture and heat from indoor activities migrates from the living spaces to the attic. This, in turn, causes moisture buildup on the sheathing.

You are saying that there is more than enough vent...What type of vents are in place right now? Do they have ridge and soffit vents?
Ridge and soffit vents are going to give attics the best effects for proper venting. Any other venting could lead to poor ventilation of the attic area.

Are any of the vents blocked in the attic?

Are there rust or dark spots at the nail areas on the plywood sheets?

Another moisture issue would be that the roof shingles are old and are not properly repelling rainwater. Once the outside asphalt and mineral fillers become old and worn, the felt materials under the asphalt coating have a tendency to act as a sponge and retain moisture, causing the underlying plywood to delaminate.

Your problem will be resolved by having your client correct one or more of the items mentioned.

Good Luck![](upload://BYoPsMI5k9iOZZDpFd3StGGioL.gif)

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: bkelly1

We have one neigborhood here that was built in between 1975 and 1980. Most all of the houses have some delamination of plywood, I understand that in that area there was a company that made it, and the glue is not sticking and it peels in layers of wood. Anyone ever heard of that?