Denied access

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

1st owner of a home to deny me access to anywhere in a home. This guy denied me attic access. Cantankerous old fart…hated realtors and inspectors…

he said he wouldn’t allow me into there because I could sue him if I got hurt climbing up there. I think there were things up there he just didn’t want me to see…it was a converted barn into a home, and I have a feeling there are a ton of bats up there. He also said he installed three a/c units up there and rigged them to ducts…I think they were window units he’s got up there…anyway, it was the first time being denied access!

Look at the ease of getting to the access space! I just have a feeling he's hiding something!
![](upload://fzIOq15Ni2LSEMdp7x3v8Rm1kHE.jpeg)

--
Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: ssopha

Do you smell anything funny in that place… Gacy and Dammer come to mind. icon_lol.gif

Originally Posted By: tallen

It is obviously a grow room. ac, supper easy access. hmmm== POT Heads

I have put the past behind me,

where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: dbowers

Why do you care - do your job. About once a month I run into stuff like that. Last month I had a seller that wouldn’t let us put our ladders up against his gutters - didn’t want them scratched or bent???

No problem - it shortens my inspection. I'm an easy going guy! Here were my comments on the report.

"The roof inspection was limited by the seller refusing to allow the inspectors to place ladders against the house or the guttering. Therefore we had no way to access the roof and walk it looking for damages. We viewed it from the ground with binoculars, but due to the height and angles of the roof - all areas of the roof were not visible. This PARTIAL INSPECTION was VERY LIMITED. We can not verify the absence or presence of any DEFECTS with the roof, vents, flashings or other rooftop accessories. We recommend having a professional roofer reexamine the roof prior to closing. This may require a long boom truck and lift to access the roof if the seller still refuses someone access by use of a ladder".

"We suggest having the seller bear this financial burden because in my opinion he is the cause of the roof not being properly inspected. If this is not feasible we recommend escrowing $3,500 - $4,500 from the sellers proceeds so when you take possession you may do your own inspection and repair any defects if needed".

The roof was a 3-5 year old comp roof that looked in good condition. You could completely roof a house of this size for about $6500 in my area.

I'm easy to get along with and love to play with a $shole of a seller.

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

When the seller won’t let you in, or do part of the house…disclaim, disclaim, disclaim and like Dan did, put the burden back on them in a particularly cutting manner. Since your inspection is now shorter, you either have time for lunch, or if it’s the afternoon inspection you’re closer to Miller Time! icon_lol.gif

Originally Posted By: dfrend

It’s already afternoon somewhere, so drink up! icon_biggrin.gif

Daniel R Frend

www.nachifoundation.org

The Home Inspector Store

www.homeinspectorstore.com

Originally Posted By: Mike Parks

“he said he wouldn’t allow me into there because I could sue him if I got hurt climbing up there”

In Ohio he is correct, IF you do not have worker's compensation.

Mike P.

If you are the owner of the company, you don’t need workers comp.

Funny thing...the buyer called me today (he wasn't at the inspection) and he was real bothered by the fact that they wouldn't allow me access. Said the homeowner doesn't remember one day to the next, and he thinks he tips a few beers which is why he's so cantankerous.
He said he really liked my thorough report even though I wasn't allowed access, and appreciated the work I did despited the problems with the homeowner.
He's concerned about the home, as well he should be and is on the bubble to buy it or not.

--

Originally Posted By: jpeck

kmcmahon wrote:
He's concerned about the home, as well he should be and is on the bubble to buy it or not.

Based on what you've just said, burst it. You, and he, will be glad you did.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Yes, I’d be very greatful if indeed he decided not to make the purchase, but you know as well as anyone here that bursting the bubble is a very slippery slope.

I really don’t know why he is purchasing the home or his intentions toward it. He’s from Florida and this will be a summer home, as well as a permanent home for his mother. I just don’t see an elderly woman living in a converted barn in the middle of nowhere, but it’s not my decision.

I don’t know his cash position or anything else.

Part of our ethics states we cannot tell someone to buy or not buy. I made my report as descriptive as possible, but in the end it’s up to him to make a decision on what is acceptable or not.

kmcmahon wrote:
Yes, I'd be very greatful if indeed he decided not to make the purchase,

Kevin, Kevin,

There are many ways to burst someone's bubble and get them back on the ground, down to good old terra firma.

![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: mbartels

Jerry,

Have you ever recommended that a client walk?

I had a situation on tues that had me biting my lip. I have never once told someone to buy or not but this place was different. I felt so bad for this guy and wanted to call him later the next day and tell him to run from this place but decided not to get involved. How do you keep your conscience when you know that someone is being totally ripped off?

mbartels wrote:
Jerry,

Yes.

Quote:
I had a situation on tues that had me biting my lip. I have never once told someone to buy or not but this place was different. I felt so bad for this guy and wanted to call him later the next day and tell him to run from this place but decided not to get involved. How do you keep your conscience when you know that someone is being totally ripped off?

By telling them.

Many times I am asked, sometimes I 'just offer my opinion' (that's what we are being paid to do, right?).

"Man, I'll tell you this. There ain't NO WAY I would buy this house without some serious $$$$ credits, and even then I'd think long and hard before accepting that. Maybe if they sold this for the cost of the lot, and then, only if I were interested in knocking this down and building from scratch."

"If you were my daughter/sister/brother/etc., you'd only buy this over my dead body."

"Well, let's see. The roof needs to be replaced. While the roof is off, remove the roof sheathing so you can remove and replace the roof trusses/rafters. Of course, that means removing all the electrical, plumbing, a/c ducts, insulation, everything in the attic, so you can remove the ceiling, so you can see the blue sky above. Now, while you are at it, knock down those walls with the large settling cracks, and, by the way, install pilings under the failed foundation while you are at it."

USUALLY, by the time I get to "so you can see the blue sky above", they have understood what I am saying. HOWEVER, one time, my client waits until I am done, then asks "Can I live here while I am repairing it?" I don't remember how I responded (other than giving them a disbelieving look - and thinking 'were you even listening to me?'), but it may have been something like "Maybe, if the city will let you put a camper out front."

Once I told my client "This is great. This house is so eaten up with termites that you can just lean on it and knock it over, don't even need a dozer. The cost of demolition is almost nothing. Then build the house you want. The view is great, looking across the intra coastal at those mansions on Palm Beach. What a view! THAT IS what you were thinking, right? You WERE going to knock it down, right?"

I've used the 'til you see the blue sky above' several times.

mbartels wrote:

Yeah, I guess I have. Many times.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: mbartels

Great reply!

Thanks! icon_cool.gif

Originally Posted By: dcampbell

I have wrote that you should consider the cost of demolition and rebuilding compared to the cost of fixing.