Determine foundation with no access?

I agree, the amount and value of what I have learnt using this forum far exceeds the online training. I enjoyed the training however the forever learning comes from this forum.

1 Like

Walk around the whole building there might be a service crawl , just saying. Have a good day!

1 Like

Walk around the whole building … If no vents, NO visible slab, blocks, etc … Say So and move on.

When writing the report if you can’t determine what it is say so. AMND add VERIFY with seller or HOA, etc

Not true at all.

This wouldn’t work around my area. We have a lot of slabs around here that have perimeter stem walls or a course of block. They then lay the floor joists on top of the slab.

1 Like

I would agree with you, Josh…PT joists?

1 Like

Marc, not sure about house construction in your area, but in my area there are three basic types:

• Solid concrete slabs, either a raised slab or a slab on grade.
  • Crawlspace foundation, either concrete or masonry block.
  • Basement foundation, either concrete or masonry block.

Just be aware a house can have all three types. I am assuming you can identify a basement foundation. Except in rare cases concrete slab foundations, raised slabs or slabs on grade, will not have HVAC floor registers. Duct work will typically be routed through the ceiling. As others have said with experience jumping up and down on a wood floor system has a hollow sound versus a solid thud on a concrete slab. Crawlspace foundations will typically have an access door somewhere on the foundation wall. This access can be on the outside, in a basement, in a garage or a hidden trap door in a closet. Asking the homeowner or listing agent is an option, but sometimes they don’t know. Try searching Google or YouTube for residential foundations to see all the various types. Good Luck.

1 Like