Dielectric?

Originally Posted By: Matthew Metzger
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

This doesn’t appear to be a dielctric fitting, incorrect isn’t it? Thanks Matt

Originally Posted By: jpeck

That is a heat trap fitting, but I don’t believe they also serve as dielectric fittings. That would require brass, bronze or cast copper (I think cast copper is satisfactory for that use).

Jerry Peck

South Florida

Jerry your schooling me cause I don’t know what a heat trap fitting is. This is actually a closeup of the crimped fitting you pointed out earlier. It seems to me that the dielectric fittings I have seen has some sort of membrane or plastic barrier between the collar and the fitting.

Thanks for your help! Matt

Matt,

Go here: Rheem heat trap fittings .

Another thought is that the wrong heat trap fitting was used in the wrong fitting. If the hot and cold heat traps were reversed, you would loose the heat trap effect (hot heat trap installed in the cold inlet and vice versa, then installed upside down).

I.e., the 'cold heat trap' installed upside down on the hot would allow the ball to float up in standby (opening the seat), and stay up (open) in use flow.

The 'hot heat trap' installed upside down on the cold inlet would allow the ball to sink (opening the seat) in standby and use flow would keep it down (open).

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Ok now I know Jerry thanks! Those fittings are are all just galv pipe nipples though. What made you think they were heat trap fittings? With that being said that must be why the circulation system seems to work? Thanks for you help! Matt

Matthew Metzger wrote:
Ok now I know Jerry thanks! Those fittings are are all just galv pipe nipples though. What made you think they were heat trap fittings?

See that ring around it? That is not a simple galvanized nipple, not unless it's been gutted, in which case that is all it is now. Regular galvanized nipples do not have that ring around them, that indicates a heat trap fitting.

Here are some with only one groove.

Quote:
With that being said that must be why the circulation system seems to work? Thanks for you help! Matt

Yes.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Jerry good Eye! Now I am confused and will have to look when I go back. But, to my knowledge my dad deosn’t even carry those in his hardware store, which is where he got his materials for those installs. He wouldn’t have gutted it, and every hot water tank they install they use simple galv nipples. I wonder if the nipple had a manufactured error?

Thanks matt

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Quote:
That is a heat trap fitting, but I don't believe they also serve as dielectric fittings.

Well, if you go to the link you posted ...with only one groove., it specifically states...

By preventing galvanic local cell corrosion, it provides proven protection for all dissimilar metal piping connections.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: tallen

Learn something new everyday.

icon_biggrin.gif

I had never heard of a heat trap fitting either…

I have put the past behind me,

where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

dvalley wrote:
Jerry,

You stated...
Quote:
That is a heat trap fitting, but I don't believe they also serve as dielectric fittings.

Well, if you go to the link you posted ...with only one groove., it specifically states...

By preventing galvanic local cell corrosion, it provides proven protection for all dissimilar metal piping connections.

Well, I'll be ... never read that part.

These are required to be used in Florida (frequently missing) and I never have checked on that. I always write them up (when installed) as not have dielectric fittings and no plumber as questioned it either. Does that mean I am in bad company? ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

The Rheem one says the same thing. Guess I'd better quit writing that up!

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: Richard A Baxter

Jerry is correct they are heat traps.They are supplied with the water heater from the manufacturer.I have not seen these for sale by themself.

The manufacturer says they are dielectric nipples.I have not had a plumbing enginneer confirm this.I cant see were they would be dielectic because with a copper female adt they would still corroide from the out side.
The copper W/H flex connectors in the pick are dielectric connectors they have brass nuts and plastic inserts with rubber washers between.

The nipples with heat traps made with the balls in them causes a noise somtimes and drive customers crazy.I drill them out in some cases.They make one now with small rubber flaps in them with less problems.

The biggest problem with the manufacturers Heat traps are the volume.If you look into one there is only around 3/8 openning inside.Not a problem with standred showers.The problem comes mostly with full port shower vavles for rain heads and body sprays.Also in commercial building were there is a high demand for lots of hot water.In these cases they get thrown out or drilled out.

--
Without plumbers the world would have more crap to deal with.

Originally Posted By: Tom Cameron

Yes,

dielectric nipples can look like that and most of them have that “ring” between both pipe thread ends…LASCO sells them part 40-0907 (I have a set in front of me). They are steel with a plastic liner.