Digital Camera Choice

Originally Posted By: jpulley
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Greetings Folks,

I have picked up a lot of useful information from various posts in this site and since I am just getting this endeavor off the ground, I need all the help and luck I can get.
That being said, I'm about to re-hash a post about digital cameras with the hope that someone either has a Sony Mavica CD-500 or some input on how they think it might work within the parameters of what we do.
Initial cost with accessories is something like 900.00, so I am trying not to make a $900 mistake. I can see where the size of this unit would be a problem in tight places, but where I operate, crawl spaces are not that common. (Mostly slab construction in Fla.) In addition, the CD transfers pictures with a minimum of fuss from camera to report and from what I see there is also a recording feature in this camera, so that I could concievably just walk around the house talking to my camera.
Of course, all who watched would think Pulley was just a little "touched in the head" but this might transfer over to a narrative style report quite well.
There are many positives to this camera, i.e., picture quality, battery life etc, etc. However... if all this is true hows come more people in this business ain't on the wagon?
Another Inspector said he was using a camcorder, (and size is a concern?)
which leads me to wonder what anyone who uses a spectoscope is using to take picture of a roof with this gadget.
All forthcoming advise will be given due consideration.

Sincerely,

J.R. Pulley

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

Well, first off you have to think about carrying it around with you…like climbing a ladder for instance. My camera fits nicely into my pocket to have both hands free to grasp the ladder. Or if I have to unsrew a panel I just stick it in my pocket and don’t set it down and forget where I left it.

$900 seems a bit on the high side. you can get a camera that takes great pics for much less. I spent $255 on mine.

Only downside to mine is everytime I turn it off, I have to manually go back to SHQ mode so I can take more pics with less resolution (it defaults to the high quality setting which I don’t like)

I have the olympus stylus 300.

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: jwortham

I had the same thought Kevin.

Mine is a cheap Fuji. But it takes good pictures. And when I drop it off the ladder or out the attic hatch, I won't feel like killing myself for breaking a $900 piece of equipment. I'll just go spend another $100 and remind myself to be more careful next time!

Originally Posted By: jbehling

kmcmahon wrote:
Only downside to mine is everytime I turn it off, I have to manually go back to SHQ mode so I can take more pics with less resolution (it defaults to the high quality setting which I don't like)
I have the olympus stylus 300.

It is a great camera (mine as well) all weather, lens cover, durable. But like you say, it is a pain in the a$% to change the mode everytime.

But, a great camera everywhere else ! ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

cheap, huh?

JRPulley

Originally Posted By: lschmid

I use the Cannon sureshot. Small enough to fit in my pocket, but easy to operate with big hands. Takes good pictures, I use the lowest resolution for my reports and they come out good. Have dropped it a couple of times, once on asphalt. Took a licking and still clicking. Cost: 2 - 300 dollar range. You can even get interchangeable lenses. I got a wide angle, for shooting the whole house, and a telephoto, for shooting soccer games. Highly recommend it. Easy to download and use. Good life in batteries. I use the rechargeable ones. I have shot as many as 500 pictures and not run the batteries down. Good luck.

Larry Schmid

First Choice Home Inspection,Inc.

South Carolina Chapter President

www.1stchoicehomeinspection.com

A SAFE HOME IS A HAPPY HOME

That’s quite an endorsement, I’ll have to check this one out.

I had given up on an all-round camera for a reasonable price.

Perhaps not!

JRPulley

Originally Posted By: jtedesco

I will sell you a Dimage X and it is smaller than a pack of cigarettes and uses a SD Decure Digital, can record voice, and does a fine job.

I have a habit of buying at least two camera's a year and always go for those that have more bells and whistles.

Here's a story about it:

http://www.photographic.com/digitalcameras/139/

$175.00

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

Joseph,

That is indeed an intriguing possibility. But my obvious question is, what
are you going to replace it with?
According to that article, that camera is perhaps one of the best choices for many of us. What do you not like about it, and what is your next purchase?

JRPulley

I liked it and it works well, as I said I am a gadget freak so I buy the new cameras when they come out. I just sold an Olympus 300.

I have 4 more digital cameras, and a small SD Card video recorder, and just purchased a Canon Power Shot S410 Digital Elph.

--

Originally Posted By: rray

I just bought two Canon Powershot A60s for $139 each from buy.com. I now have four of them.

Unfortunately, everyone thinks that the more megapixels, the better. That might be true for the next Pulitzer Prize-winning photographer. For my purposes, 1 million megapixels is almost overkill. I use rechargeable batteries and set the Powershot on automatic. With a 64 MB flashcard, I can take about 1,300 pictures, all of very good quality for my color laser printer, and the batteries keep going, and going, and going.

I bought one of the first digital cameras on the market back in 1992 when I was doing a lot of photography; it cost $5,680. The Powershot is about a billion times better than that 1992 camera--I think it was a Kodak, but it gave out on me a couple of years ago and no one would even consider repairing it for less than $500. Cost of new cameras five times better was $500. No brainer.

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.

Originally Posted By: dedwards

I have several cameras myself and I paid less than $100 dollars for each of them. They all take outstanding pictures and I have dropped one of them at least three times. Spattered it and batteries all over the place. I put it back together and am still using it. It is a SiPix. If I dropped a $900 camera I would probably sit down and cry little a little girl. I would spend the extra money on some good test equipment rather than all on one camera. I always carry an extra camera (batteries and charger too) in the vehicle too. The pictures are worth a thousand words and have saved my butt on more than one occasion just for documentation. The clients love them. When I started out Polaroid cameras were the thing but it costs a fortune in film.

Little boys also cry.

I've dropped my Canon PowerShot A60s numerous times. However, they don't fall apart. They just keep on going, and going, and going. ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

I bought a couple of extra cameras because I have been so impressed with them--and the newer the camera, the less likely that it will do such "poor" quality as one megapixels--that I wanted some to make sure that I have some one megapixel cameras for the foreseeable future.

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.

Originally Posted By: psabados

I use an S-10 and the A-60. I prefer the A-60, 2200 mAh rechargeable batteries last a super long time. The A-60 also has available optional wide and telephoto lens with the easy attach bayonet fitting.

Dropped the A-60 several times, no problems, dropped the older S-10 and the flash went slightly out of sync. but still works like a champ in normal lighting conditions.

Both are flash card memory

Paul

Originally Posted By: ddivito

I use a Canon G2. The screen swivels so I can see what I am shooting when the lens is pointed at an angle where I cannot see the back of the camera. It take great pictures in the dark of a crawlspace with the flash. I aim it by pressing the shutter half way and the autofocus blinks a light to get the range and I find it great for aiming the camera.

One other manufacturer makes a swivel LCD, but I don't remember which one.

It costs around 400-(?)

I carry it in a pouch on my belt with the other tools I use all the time (probe, GFCI/circuit tester, pencil, voltage sniffer, pigtail)

Originally Posted By: mroach

jtedesco wrote:
I will sell you a Dimage X and it is smaller than a pack of cigarettes and uses a SD Decure Digital, can record voice, and does a fine job.

I have a habit of buying at least two camera's a year and always go for those that have more bells and whistles.

Here's a story about it:

http://www.photographic.com/digitalcameras/139/

$175.00

I took Joe's advice and I have to say this is the best camera that I have used for my inspection business. I have 2 Kodak cameras that I paid 300 to 400 for and I never did like them. But this little camera is small it starts supper quick and it has no external moving parts to break. I highly recommend this little camera to all inspectors.

MarkR

--
Mark Roach
A Professional Home Inspection
TREC# 6467
http://www.aprofessionalhomeinspection.com
"Your Best Protection is a Professional Home Inspection"
Klien Volunteer Fireman

Mark:

I am happy to hear that the camera will be of use.

PS: My camera is still for sale.

![icon_cool.gif](upload://oPnLkqdJc33Dyf2uA3TQwRkfhwd.gif)

--

mroach wrote:
this little camera . . . starts supper quick

I definitely need one of those. I'll pay more if it can do breakfast and lunch, as well. ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Originally Posted By: dfrend

Yeah, now If I could get the wife to start supper quicker. icon_twisted.gif

Daniel R Frend

www.nachifoundation.org

The Home Inspector Store

www.homeinspectorstore.com

Greetings All,

I suspect it fitting that I inform you of my choice, and why.
I purchased a camera that is probably too large for a lot of you to consider, based on the input I have seen from these postings.
The Kodak DX-6490 is smaller than most SLR's but a quite a bit larger than a pack of cigarettes. It has a 10X Optical/digital zoom and a fair sized screen to review the pictures of your choosing.
However, I wanted something that would allow me to take wildlife and nature photographs as well. So... very seldom will you find a do all anything that doesn't take up a larger space than you first intended.
By the way, should you all be interested, the best price I found on it was from "secondact.biz", a seller of refurbed electronics.

Sincerely,
J.R.Pulley