dimensional lumber

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Richard,

The problem with the way some view the HI industry is that we are practicing professional engineering without a license. When we observe a condition where common sense tells us that something may be wrong, there is nothing wrong with calling for additional evaluation by a licensed professional. In this case, if it was close, I may have stated that further evaluation by a licensed professional engineer was warranted.

Your statement "It would be easier on you to tell the clients on the phone to just send you $xx so that you can tell them to hire an engineer, electrician, plumber, HVAC tech., etc. That is the kind of action that will ruin this industry. I realize that most of the hi's just want to fill up their reports with disclaimers and cover your bottom statements, but, knowing what you are doing and saying so is a lot easier and saves alot of paper" was a bit harsh, and somewhat self serving.

I believe that many other things will bring ruination to the industry, rather than providing sound advice. Unless you are LEGALLY qualified to provide a true structural evaluation (and that's what the question was about) you'd best stick to the "generalist" route. It's true, we're NOT code enforcement officials. But, where there are legitimate questions as to the structural integrity of something, where variables are called into effect, theres nothing improper about recommending further evaluation.

It's not about money, in this case. It's about lives...