Disclaimer

Originally Posted By: rwand
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Does anyone have a legal opinion on disclaimers on emails or posts on forums.

For example

This e-mail/post is privileged and/or confidential, and the sender does not waive any related rights and obligations. Any distribution, use or copying of this e-mail/post or the information it contains is unauthorized.

Thanks for any feedback.

Raymond Wand
Alton, ON

--
The value of experience is not in seeing much,
but in seeing wisely. - Sir William Osler 1905

http://www.raymondwand.ca
NACHI Member
Registered Home Inspector (R.H.I.)

Originally Posted By: escanlan

Hi Raymond,

Business' place restrictions on distribution and copying on the emails all the time. If the contents of the email is privileged information or business only then it could be enforceable if you took it to court. The minute the contents are mixed, even with an offhanded remark, it hits a gray area.

As for the BB if it is a business BB, with only employees accessing it and it is for business purposes only, then the biz could make a good case if the contents were made public. As for any public forum BB, even the members only section of this BB, it would be difficult to enforce redistribution restrictions.

In either case, email or BB, for private concerns I would expect that it becomes a civil matter and not a criminal matter. Major corporations now have you sign an Info Technology Use policy restricting redistribution or copying of electronic media. If you violate it they fire you! If it costs them money (i.e. trade secrets) they sue you too!

What's the impetus for the question?

--
Manny (Emmanuel) Scanlan

Knowledge is power, but sharing knowledge brings peace!

Originally Posted By: Dave Bottoms

Quote:
escanlan wrote:

What's the impetus for the question?

I was thinking of using it on my private correspondence. As far as Canada courtcases have determined that emails and forum posts are considered to be unsecure. Thanks for your feedback. It is unfortunate Mr. Bottoms is paranoid, this wasn't about him.

This maybe of interest
10) Study Says 1 In 2 Employers Have Fired Worker For Net MisuseA study by the American Management Association and the ePolicy Institute finds that companies increasingly are "putting teeth in technology policies." The study revealed that about a quarter of employers have fired workers for misusing the Internet and another 25 percent have terminated employees for e-mail misuse.

More:
http://news.com.com/2100-1032_3-5712677.html

Cheers
Raymond Wand
Alton, ON

--

NACHI Member

Originally Posted By: Dave Bottoms

Mr. Bottoms

I think you are paranoid how can you prove you just started using this disclaimer? This is a typical disclaimer that can be found on most corporate email. Do you hear voices too? ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Raymond Wand
Alton, ON

This e-mail/post is privileged and/or confidential, and the sender does not waive any related rights and obligations. Any distribution, use or copying of this e-mail/post or the information it contains is unauthorized especially by Mr. Bottoms. ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

--

NACHI Member

Whatever?

What type of reply is that? Its not like you to be stuck for something to say! ![icon_cry.gif](upload://r83gSGUzNOacIqpjVReDwcR83xZ.gif) ![icon_cry.gif](upload://r83gSGUzNOacIqpjVReDwcR83xZ.gif) ![icon_cry.gif](upload://r83gSGUzNOacIqpjVReDwcR83xZ.gif) ![icon_cry.gif](upload://r83gSGUzNOacIqpjVReDwcR83xZ.gif) ![icon_cry.gif](upload://r83gSGUzNOacIqpjVReDwcR83xZ.gif) ![icon_cry.gif](upload://r83gSGUzNOacIqpjVReDwcR83xZ.gif)

Raymond Wand
Alton, ON

--

NACHI Member

Originally Posted By: eporter

Dave and Ray, get a room.

I thought that Jim Bushart and I were the kings of pissing matches. But we don't have anything on you bozos. You two are like a couple of little old ladies.

Knock it off, and grow up. You are embarrassing yourselves worse than you can imagine.

--
------------------------------------------------
"Inspecting this home like I'm buying it myself."

Ed Porter
Cornerstone Home Inspection Services, Inc.
Grand Haven, MI

In case you haven’t noticed, Jim and I haven’t exchanged any barbs in quite some time, here or elsewhere.

Something you should try. Your exchanges with Ray stopped being amusing a long time ago.

--
"Inspecting this home like I'm buying it myself."

Ed Porter
Grand Haven, MI

eusa_clap.gif

“Inspecting this home like I’m buying it myself.”

Ed Porter
Grand Haven, MI

THE END!

Fini

Raymond Wand
Alton, ON

--

NACHI Member