discoloration in linoleum

Originally Posted By: Walt Hoffman
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Does anyone know what causes discoloration ( typically a pale blue) in linoleum in moisture prone areas such as around toilets and next to tubs? I have heard mold, mildew, and sheet vinyl adhesive reactions. I am specifically wondering about any negative consequences such as mold spreading to other areas, etc. Thank you for any feedback

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi to all,

Walt, I looked a while ago for information on this topic and never really found the full answer, but here is a link I saved at the time:

http://www.ntlfloortrends.com/CDA/ArticleInformation/coverstory/BNPCoverStoryItem/0,2913,78914,00.html

BTW, vinyl and linoleum flooring are not the same thing, vinyl is a petrochemical product, whereas Linoleum is made of naturally occouring materials/

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: bemelander

I have seen this in the past. What I found on mine was the toilet leaked and the blue cube they put in the tank to keep it clean is what caused the stain.

Anchor Home Inspections

bill@anchorinspections.com

Originally Posted By: Jay Moge

i asked our sub. contracted flooring guys and did some of my own reserch and found that what most people don’t uderstand is that “lenoleum” today is actualy vynal. and that layer is very very thin. it’s bonded to a material with a special glue, the 2 products together is what adds up to the 1/8th inch of material we see. when it get wet and dries the vynal seperates from the base material and the byproduct of the wet glue and base material turns either a gray, or blue-ish color. alot like a water stain, but the base material is sometimes recycled paper and has some remains of inks that were the original paper use. actual lenoleum will handle water much better, but more likely to crack when it dries. hope that help. in any case if you see that discoloring you can bet that the floor has been wet or flooded at one point. icon_cool.gif

Originally Posted By: gmartin2

I’ve come across this a few times. One explanation is the flooring will absorb chemical from certain rubber-backed throw-rugs.

Originally Posted By: gporter

Good info.

Originally Posted By: troberts1

This will be mostly around the toilet where a wax ring is leaking, in all the cases that I have found when tested with a moisture meter it will have levels of moisture in the sub floor. It will not dry out on it’s own because it can not get air exposure and the vynal will need to be removed. Some times the sub floor can be dryed out if it is not been leaking long but in most cases that I have been involved in as a contractor the vynal and sub floor will need to be replaced.

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

Water at toilet ]

[ Image: Water under door ]

--
Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

Originally Posted By: jspringstead

You mean a reaction from “water” entering from “below” the top layer, correct?

Originally Posted By: Jay Moge

John.

that's correct. water can not get threw vinyl. Vinyl is water proof, but anytime you have a seem or any cutout in the vinyl, water can get threw. you can still get real lenolium, it's beautiful inlays go threw the entire thickness and are rather pricey now that vinyl has flooded the market. but then again vinyl took over about 20 years ago, but still was called leno' for about 15 years after. even floor co. didn't want you to know it was a cheap "laminate" imitation of a previosly "cheap" floor. oh well. ![icon_cool.gif](upload://oPnLkqdJc33Dyf2uA3TQwRkfhwd.gif)