Discoloration in panel

Would your consider this normal or a defect i couldn’t decide today.

I’ve seen this go around on various HI and electrical forums over the years and the “rainbow” colored metal is generally considered as normal. Those pics are a bit different than what I’ve seen but I can’t say it’s dangerous or abnormal. Was there any sign of water collection in the base of the panel or elsewhere? When I inspect a panel for performance defects I’m mainly looking for scorching at attachment points and that doesn’t seem to be that.

4 Likes

It almost looks like some plating is coming off…but I don’t know for sure, Cory.

2 Likes

From my experience working and welding metals over the years, the ‘rainbow’ is a result of heat, and from what I see (or should I say “don’t see”) in that photo, is likely from the manufacturing process.
My first thought was also a ‘coating’, but that makes no sense in an electrical panel at that location.

1 Like

I’ve seen rainbows from over heating before and this was defiantly not like that. I didn’t see anything else wrong in the panel just this discoloration.

It is just the plating discoloring. Nothing to note.

2 Likes

Hard to tell from MI. You have good eyes Joe. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Not really, I have seen this on panels coming down the assembly line when I was at the SQ D plant in Mexico. :grin:

1 Like

Well, there you go…experience pays off. :+1:

Could a lack of anti-oxidant paste on the aluminum conductors cause this discoloration?

I’ve seen this on several GE panels and it’s perfectly normal without some of other indicator of an abnormality like a melted conductor.

1 Like