Disposal switch location

Originally Posted By: ssmith3
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Is there a minimum distance from disposal/sink that the switch must be?

I seem to recall in my much younger days it was 36".

May have been my dad’s preference when installing/remodeling.

Scott Smith

Marinspection

Vice President NorCal NACHI Chapter

I graduated from collage. Now my life is all mixed up.

Originally Posted By: bbadger

There is not a NEC required distance.

Bob Badger

Electrical Construction & Maintenance

Moderator at ECN

Originally Posted By: jpeck

I would not want it 3’ away, makes it too hard to reach when using it.

'Not' behind the sink, and just a little off to the right (most people are right handed) ... but there is no required placement for it.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: ssmith3

My dad’s thinking was that he didn’t want a person to be able to have their hand IN the disposer and then be able to turn it on.

OK before someone says “who would be stupid enough to do that!” IF it is jammed and you are using a spoon/knife/??? to “free” it and you want to see if you “got it” icon_eek.gif icon_eek.gif My dad told me some stories, and maybe they were just that, stories but the point is I would not want to be able to stick my hand in there and then be able to turn it on.

Scott Smith

Marinspection

Vice President NorCal NACHI Chapter

I graduated from collage. Now my life is all mixed up.

Originally Posted By: jpeck

ssmith3 wrote:
My dad's thinking was that he didn't want a person to be able to have their hand IN the disposer and then be able to turn it on.

I've heard the same stories, but putting the switch that far away just entices someone to stuff the disposer too full, then reach over and turn it on, thereby creating the blockage they now have to clean out.

With few exceptions, these are 'continuous feed' disposers (actually 'food waste grinders') and should be used with the water running while continuously stuffing food down them. Then reaching over and turning them off.

With the switch that far away, a person may be enticed to run water, jamb it full, then turn it on ... viola - it's stuck.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida